• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spring is coming, so it's time for a new khaki suit...

bleedinggumsmurphy

Reaction score
I'm looking for a modern-cut khaki suit for the summer. Any recommendations? I'm looking for something to fit my grad student budget.

Here are two that come in under $400.

Cotton, J. Crew: http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...4959/14959.jsp

Cotton / Linen, Banana Republic: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...376&pid=619669

I'm a young (25), and slim (5'10", 140). Any thoughts on these or others? I've never purchased a cotton or linen suit before (other than seersucker back in New Orleans), so I don't feel like I know what to look for as well as I do with wool.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is definitely a purchase I'm going to make in the next few months (Just not this month
bigstar[1].gif
)

Oh, and no advice to give as I don't own one.
plain.gif

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing the JCrew offering myself, except for the fact that cotton suits wrinkle like a mo-fo.

One has to weight the benefits of going with a summer fabric like cotton or linen vs. something like a fresco or tropical weight wool.

Are fresco and TWW the same thing?

To the OP, with that user name you really need to track down the right Simpsons-appropriate avatar.

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleedinggumsmurphy
I'm looking for a modern-cut khaki suit for the summer. Any recommendations? I'm looking for something to fit my grad student budget.

Here are two that come in under $400.

Cotton, J. Crew: http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...4959/14959.jsp

Cotton / Linen, Banana Republic: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...376&pid=619669

I'm a young (25), and slim (5'10", 140). Any thoughts on these or others? I've never purchased a cotton or linen suit before (other than seersucker back in New Orleans), so I don't feel like I know what to look for as well as I do with wool.

You and I have the same body type (I'm just an inch or 2 taller and 5-10 lbs heavier) but I think those are two solid choices. I'm more familiar with the BR chino suit and I think it would require a little more alteration than the J Crew suit but I don't think the difference is much. If you aspire to be a bit more forward with it, you'll more than likely need a 32 inseam and have it hemmed where there's a clean break (no bunching at the bottom) and definitely have them tapered because nothing looks worse than a shorter trouser (cool) that has a lot of volume (not so cool).

If you check out the recent GQ or Details issue (this or last month), Tommy Hilfiger (who most likely has a suit in that price range as well) has his suit in their ads and you can kind of use that as a starting point if you like how they've put it together. Chino suits are usually styled with lighter shade shirts (white, blue, pink if your bold enough) and black oxfords or loafers with no socks.

I would have gotten the BR chino suit if they did double vents like last S/S but they didn't so I'm stuck for now. Anyone know how might offer a double vented chino suit in that price range?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That j crew one is really nice. Go with it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Try on the J. Crew, if you haven't. I'm tall and thin and the J. Crew stuff always fits me awkwardly.
My experience, too. As much as I like and buy a lot of stuff from J.Crew, I can't wear their jackets.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
My experience, too. As much as I like and buy a lot of stuff from J.Crew, I can't wear their jackets.

Same here. There's just something off about their jackets for me. Then again, they don't fit the model on their website well either, so...

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
the jcrew suits look good on their website because the pin them up a lot.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Costume National.

I might sell mine actually. I have a wider chest and it fits kind of awkward. Plus low-rise makes me sad.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it just me, or is buying a cotton or cotton-blend suit a waste of time and money?

I mean, ask your dad. I asked mine, and he said "yeah, I bought a few cotton suits in my day. They last a couple years."

Why bother on spending a few hundred bucks on something that may last 2 years, max?

Is it really that much cooler than a lightweight wool? You're still wearing a freaking jacket.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good observation. That's why I went with a Haspen linen and a Haspel poplin. Unbeatable for the price at $99 & you rotate them in & out with your summer weight woolens. Flat front pants & side vented, half lined jackets were a plus.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the BR chino suit is normally their modern cut, not the tailored cut which would fit you better. i have last seasons and like it better than the jcrew but it still is a little too big through the arms and legs. of the 2 though i'd choose the BR

aloepathic

Reaction score
I have the J Crew suit jacket (didn't bother with the pants, just wear it as an odd jacket with jeans in the summer, works surprisingly well). I and the J. Press tailor both agree that it came out fitting me well, only needed sleeve shortening. I'm 6'2", 160lbs, skinny-ish. Couldn't recommend the jacket more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads