• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Spring/Fall Flannel?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
I am thinking about ordering a three-piece bespoke Cambridge grey flannel suit for my shoulder season rotation. I am unsure, however, whether a 10-11 oz flannel is really worth it because I have been given to understand that flannel at that weight does not hold its shape very well at all. Do any of you have any experience with such light-weight flannel or thoughts regarding particular mills for such a cloth?

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Drapers.

No, it is not rock solid cloth. But it's fine. Flannel is supposed to be soft and slouchy anyway.

Wears far hotter than similar weight worsted.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I have a suit in 9/10 oz Drapers flannel and it is VBC super 120 s flannel rebranded as Drapers

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tend to favor cloths that are decisively winter or summer. In-between specimens like lightweight flannels just don't make much sense to me: it will wear too warm in the spring and summer, but it won't have the look or feel of a more traditional flannel, either.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I tend to favor cloths that are decisively winter or summer. In-between specimens like lightweight flannels just don't make much sense to me: it will wear too warm in the spring and summer, but it won't have the look or feel of a more traditional flannel, either.

I could not wear a 400 g flannel today but the 11/12 I am wearing is fine.

The Gooch

Reaction score
OP, you should know that Manton is hot in almost any cloth. Probably due to a high metabolism as he is a thin man. You should also know that a 3pc in 10-11 oz flannel can quickly turn into a 1 season suit. And by 1 season I mean worn 1-2 times yearly.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I was walking around Boston this weekend, with temps ranging from high 40s to high 50s F, in my LL triple check horseblanket 3-piece SB, with only the addition of a silk scarf to be comfortable. The cloth is a 13-14 oz. flannel.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.