• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sprezzatura

Highlander

Reaction score
Now this is a fashion that cracks me up. Ironically, after living in Italy for three years, I see someone has already assumed my desired role of Fashion Assassin for this latest rage:

http://www.getthegouge.com/insider/w...ies.asp?ID=483

I really can't understand how so many people take the extra time to look like they just rolled out of bed. Comical to say the least.

~Highlander

negusnegas

Reaction score
I don't know if I have always misunderstood the very essence of Sprezzatura, but I always assumed it had more to do with making style look effortless rather than looking like a hobo. I.e. you wear the clothes with a little bit of ur own swag. Of course it's all bullshit, but at least it's your bullshit. Also I do believe the actual work Sprezzatura is sort of an old school Italian word that most of the younger generation don't even use. Just my two cents.

Ars Est Celare Artem?

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by negusnegas
I don't know if I have always misunderstood the very essence of Sprezzatura, but I always assumed it had more to do with making style look effortless rather than looking like a hobo. I.e. you wear the clothes with a little bit of ur own swag. Of course it's all bullshit, but at least it's your bullshit. Also I do believe the actual work Sprezzatura is sort of an old school Italian word that most of the younger generation don't even use. Just my two cents.

Ars Est Celare Artem?

Pretty much on point here. I would describe it as "stylish with ease". I am not sure how much usage the word gets in Italian, but it is often used on SF.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't realize looking cool was the first rule of combat for a Marine.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by negusnegas

Ars Est Celare Artem?

That's what I always thought too. So, just to make sure I hadn't lost it I looked it up and found this definition from Wikipedia:

Sprezzatura, is a term that originates from Castiglione's The Book of the Courtier. It is defined as "a certain nonchalance, so as to conceal all art and make whatever one does or says appear to be without effort and almost without any thought about it."[1]That is to say, it is the ability of the courtier to display "an easy facility in accomplishing difficult actions which hides the conscious effort that went into them."[2]Sprezzatura has also been described "as a form of defensive irony: the ability to disguise what one really desires, feels, thinks, and means or intends behind a mask of apparent reticence and nonchalance."[3]

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am too fastidious ever to start my day in this state, but on a good day, when I have been either very busy or very slothful, a bit of sprezzatura emerges and surprises me in a passing reflection.

I try not to look too hard, though, because it then gets ruined.

- B

well-kept

Reaction score
I think by definition it is not something you can try to achieve. Try and you've just violated the spirit.

In art, some have it and others never will. Think Velazquez, John Singer Sargent, etc. In music, Glenn Gould, Hendrix... It's akin to the dictum, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The clothing pictured is not "cool," but it's a good rant-read.

Recent studies conducted at very serious research centers across the country report that 85% of women say they make a qualitative judgment of a man within the first 10 seconds of meeting him.
Not that that's false - probably 14.99% of the other respondents aren't being honest - but source?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads