1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Spreadsheet for ties?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AlanC, Aug 20, 2004.

1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I remember someone mentioning they had their ties on an Excel spreadsheet. Could someone post a template of that? On my list of really sad things to do, I've thought I might give it a try, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks.

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

well, idle hands are the devil's workshop i guess. [​IMG] [​IMG] i hope you don't have that list written down somewhere, where people can see it... /andrew - has lots of important things on his list, but does the unwritten, sad, stupid things first anyway.

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

Andrew: I think that was the best one yet... On that note BTW, you are at 3 headers...SO early in the AM too [​IMG] i think that today will be the day. Anyway, AlanC... I think that the topic was discussed here... http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....=vc2000 with no resolution and I think on Andy's as well with someone stating that they used Excel not wanting to spend thousands on a program. JJF

4. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

We had a discussion of my excessively nerdy spreadsheet for maintaining and cataloging by work wardrobe. I can e-mail it now if anyone wants a copy. I've removed most of my information on there, but left enough to get a sense of how I use it (though I'm rarely using it now that I rarely wear a suit to work).

5. yanks2182

yanks2182 Senior Member

I'm one of those nerds that would certainly get use out of this spreadsheet. I sent you an e-mail with my e-mail address. Looking forward to checking this thing out.

6. Cliff

Cliff Senior Member

I never thought a spreadsheet would help much. Instead, I digitally photographed my shirts, slacks, suits, sport jackets and ties (not individually but five or six together). That way, if I go shopping I can bring a thumbnail printout with me as a reminder.

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

FIH, do you happen to make pocket protectors that coordinate with your ties? Maybe with each tie you sell you could make a "tie-vCard" available with a thumbnail pic and some various sorting details and keywords... [​IMG]

8. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What woud be the purpose of this spreadsheet? Record what you wore on what days so you can minimize repetition?

9. chorse123

Partly that, but also to get an idea on the best ways to grow/improve my wardrobe. And as a concrete way to show what I did/didn't wear.

It's also useful in tracking things like changes to my Jantzen order, time between orders and deliveries.

10. Gatsby

Gatsby Senior Member

Wow, I'm using an Excel spreadsheet to track work clothes as well... I don't feel like such a geek now. Only for suits, shirts, and shoes though. Ties just aren't worth the hassel.. I have columns for: item number, brand, color, material, style, size, wear (1-5 scale), grade (1-5); grade being the 'prestige' value of the item. Too nerdy? [​IMG] I think it's mainly useful to curb my purchasing habits by planning effectively.

11. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If I were to do this, I would break out the relational database. Spreadsheets ain't got nothing on SQL. Now, THAT would be really sad.

12. yanks2182

yanks2182 Senior Member

Do it up. The dorkier, the better.

13. Lindsay

Lindsay Senior Member

FWIW, I once put together a database in Access for the same purpose.  Unfortunately, I seem to have lost it.  Wouldn't be difficult, though, and would be much easier to query.

14. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

oh my god. well, before i cast stones, i have to admit i did make a very small spreadsheet last year when i was in wardrobe-reconstruction mode. but that was only to keep track of expenses. that said, oh my god. this is almost as dorky as having a spreadsheet to keep track of your Magic: The Gathering cards. it warms the cockles of my heart.

15. chorse123

And that's when I started my nerd-tastic one as well. Though it grew from there.