Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Spread collars with four-in-hand knots...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Tom, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Tom

Tom Senior member

Yesterday I went to a seminar in San Francisco (a chiropractic thing).  Many of the doctors there were wearing spread collar shirts (they seem to be popular these days).  However, with only two exceptions that I noticed, they all used narrow four-in-hand tie knots.  This really bothered me for some reason.  I use a windsor knot with spread collar shirts, am I overreacting here?  Please leave opinions.

-Tom

2. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

You are not overreacting. Most men do not know how to tie more then one knot. Nor do they wish to learn how either.

A four in hand is fine with a heavy woven tie. With a spread collar at least a half windsor should be tied.

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

generally speaking, a half windsor or windsor knot does look better than a 4 in hand with a wide spread collar. however, i saw charlie rose wear the spread collar/4.i.h. combination a while ago and i thought it looked good on him. maybe it had to do with his long face.

4. rayk

rayk Senior member

Tom:  I tend to agree with Shirtmaven and Matadorpoeta that a half windsor, or preferably a full windsor, looks most appropriate with a spread collar.  The typical four-in-hand knot--especially given that many ties are today made of thin silk and acetate, which makes tying a proper knot that much more difficult--unless tied with a hefty seven-fold tie, tends to look lost in the wilderness when combined with a full spread collar.

As for Charlie Rose, I've always thought that he wore collars that were rather too small for his overall facial features.  Every time I see him my attention is drawn to the collar/face imbalance. IMHO he would do well to have his shirts made with collars that were in proportion with his head.

5. MPS

MPS Senior member

I always wear spread collar shirts, and almost always use a four-in-hand. However, my ties are generally quite substantial, and would look ungainly tied with even a half-windsor.

6. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

I do the same as MPS - I usually tie a four in hand, rarely the half Windsor with spread collared shirts. My ties are also quite substantial.