• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sporty Watches w/ Suits

tony19

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed well dressed men wearing sporty "rubber" style watches with their high end suits? Such as Timex Ironman watches. I've noticed it a lot in my area even with high up individuals within companies such as CEO's etc. I don't know why but I always find this surprising. one would think a very wealthly well dressed man would be wearing a flashy watch or at least "expensive" one. I always appreciate a very nice watch such as a rolex but I actually think the more affordable sporty watch is a pretty cool look.

Also I've always learned to never go cheap on shoes or watches but somehow these guys pull it off! is it because they are so well dressed and it is a funny irony? Do they wear these as a matter of function so they can easily hop onto their boats or simply hit the gym? just wondering if i'm missing something. Let me know your thoughts...does anyone else appreciate this look?

In these pictures they are both italian men...are these sailing watches?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qjpwnPW4c1.../9088EZweb.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a way to say "hay guyz I exercise sometimes". It has nothing to do with believing it looks good.

tony19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
It's a way to say "hay guyz I exercise sometimes". It has nothing to do with believing it looks good.

my gut is telling me to disagree with you here but who knows... in my eyes men who are dressing as well as these guys and that are in a position that they are in are very aware of what they are wearing. even though they seem as if they are not. it may be a way to say f*ck you and not conform or their way of not taking themsleves too seriously.

we are probably thinking way too much into this but oh well, isn't this why the forum is here....
wink.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes he chose it due to style, before he left his house in the morning he had the choice to either wear a 25KG iron weight on his wrist, or a digital wristwatch, and he chose the watch because it looked better.

JR88

Reaction score
Perhaps it's not about wanting to say anything. Suits are necessary in some professions that do not also require fancy watches.

aleeboy

Reaction score
the group CEO of the company I'm with wears Swatch. Comes down to whether the person values, and is willing to pay for, a nice watch. I value nice watches and have always bought decent ones.

Sportier type watches have been a strong trend in the last year or so. I wear sporty watches exclusively. Even with suits.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't want to draw attention away from the shoes.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
maybe what they're saying is- hay guyz despite the $5000 suit and the $2000 pair of shoes that the rest of the world can't afford, i'm still a regular schlub like the rest of y'all coz i wears timex.

syberhat

Reaction score
Ive been looking for a sporty watch I can pull off at work but have not found one yet. I noticed Henry Paulson (the US Sec. of Treasury) wears a sports watch with his suits - this guy use to be the CEO of Goldman too. Here is a picture: http://globalisering.sogeti.nl/wp-co.../11/hpaul1.jpg

A partner at the bank I work for has a Seiko diver on a rubber strap that he wears often with suits. He told me that hes had it since the 70s. I guess if you really like the watch then it'll match anything..

rsgould

Reaction score
maybe they time a lot of lap splits at the office.

Tardek

Reaction score
You don't need a rolex to have a nice metallic watch. Seikos are very reasonable, for example. I have a great stainless steel one with a dark blue face that only set me back $250 or so.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like it when guys do it but I definitely noticed and am annoyed when girls do. Many of the super athletic (run and gym daily) girls ONLY own a Timex. Then don't have the fashion sense to remove it when they are in an evening gown or cocktail dress. Nothing looks tackier.

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
I don't like it when guys do it but I definitely noticed and am annoyed when girls do. Many of the super athletic (run and gym daily) girls ONLY own a Timex. Then don't have the fashion sense to remove it when they are in an evening gown or cocktail dress. Nothing looks tackier.

...except the same girl wearing sneakers with said attire.

Star

Reaction score
Although I like expensive watches I believe that the 'man makes the watch' and not the other way around. You can have a diamond encrusted Rolex (or a second hand Submariner with a spec of dust in the dial), however if you are an @sshole you are still an @sshole with or without the watch. You can also be a top shelf type of guy wearing the Timex.

With some of these guys there is no need to look at their wrist to measure their success. Their achievements be it in business or family shouts out loud more than any watch could.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads