1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sports jacket with jeans: 2 buttons or 3?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by That Guy, Aug 24, 2006.

1. That Guy

That Guy Member

If I want to pair a sports jacket with a pair of jeans, does it matter whether the jacket has 2 buttons or 3? Thanks!

2. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

I feel that a 3-button looks odd with jeans.......then again I feel that a 3-button looks odd in general.....[​IMG]

3. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

Not really... put on a 3 button, see how it looks. put on a 2 button, see how it looks. If you like one more than the other go with it. You're 'breaking the rules' by wearing a sports jacket with jeans in the first place, why would there be rules on how to break the rules?

I find that the fabric and fit of the jacket, it more casual and more fitted = looks better with jeans.

4. stach

stach Senior member

I vote for two, unless you're doing all black. Then I think three would be ok.

5. EL72

EL72 Senior member

If I want to pair a sports jacket with a pair of jeans, does it matter whether the jacket has 2 buttons or 3? Thanks!

No. Fit, cut, fabric... matter much more than the number of buttons.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

It makes no difference, in my mind.

7. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Hank Scorpio, the CEO of Globex Corporation, who was the first millionaire to wear a sport coat with jeans (now all of them are doing it), preferred two buttons. That said, it is a personal preference the number of buttons you prefer. I wear both two- and three-button sport coats with jeans.

8. dusty

dusty Senior member

Hank Scorpio

9. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

There truly is nothing more embarassing then going on at length making a cultural reference unique to a poster's question and then making an idiotic typo. To paraphrase Denis Lemieux, I feel shame.

10. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

It would seem to depend on your body type. It would be best if you posted pictures of a two-button vs. three-button with jeans.

11. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior member

I feel that a 3-button looks odd with jeans.......then again I feel that a 3-button looks odd in general.....[​IMG]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

12. Soph

Soph Senior member

Cotton, Linen, cord, velvet, cashmere Sportcoats usually look best.
    Casual fabrics.

Fit and Cut next.

Nice wool or silk no freaking way. That's for more formal business affairs.

2 or 3 button? make little difference as far as jeans coordination.

13. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

The number of buttons does`t matter at all. As someone mentioned above, the cut, silouette is much more important. It helps if the silouette is on the modern side rather than classical.

14. Tuerney1

Tuerney1 Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem that important to me, either (to echo most of the opinions above), but, as far as preferences go, I'll dissent and say I like three buttons with jeans, particularly if in a more casual fabric and with a t-shirt. So it may depend a great deal on the look one is going for. If one is wearing a fine dress shirt with dark blue jeans and well patinated loafers, I could see going for two buttons or even a blazer as the better choice. If one was wearing more worn or distressed jeans with a Barking Irons t-shirt and boots, then I would think a three button in a dark tweedy-pattern or a charcoal herringbone would look great.

15. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

The number of buttons does`t matter at all. As someone mentioned above, the cut, silouette is much more important. It helps if the silouette is on the modern side rather than classical.
    i agree! slimmer and shorter than the more tradition sport coat i think is the best options as this is a more fashion aware choice combo!

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The bigger question is whether to pair with a silver wig or a gold one. Perhaps something in the vein of Carol Channing's coiff but a bag-lady is always chic.

17. Tuerney1

Tuerney1 Well-Known Member

And don't forget the one button option...

[​IMG]

18. Ropavejero

Ropavejero Active Member

Ditto as to what others have said about fabric, style, and texture being more important than number of buttons. And I add "color" as a factor too.

Solid color cashmere sportcoats usually work well, multicolored herringbone and tweed woven wool or wool blend coats are great. Generally, finer fabrics such as silk don't work *as well.* Therefore it is easier to put together a jeans and sportcoat combination with the heavier fall and winter style coats, however you can pull off wearing some textured linen-silk fabrics or even cotton seersucker.

Word of warning, is stay away at all cost from the bright summery solid color coats in: sky blue, lemon green, bright yellow, rosy pink, etc. They are best paired with white khakis and relegated to the pre-outing luncheon at the country club golf course.

I wear both two and three button style coats and find both work equally well.

All that said, I will confess that I have never purchased a sportcoat just to wear with jeans. Collected all of mine for creating (coat and tie combinations) to wear to work all week. I wind up wearing them with jeans (as many people would don a nylon windbreaker) in evenings or on weekends just to get some additional wear and use from them.