• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sports jacket with cuffed sleeves

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I was considering this sports jacket but would appreciate some opinions. I liked the pattern, but the cuffed sleeves are something I have not seen before. Opinions appreciated. Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't comment on the sleeves but RUSSELL PLAID!!!

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming it fits well, I think the fabric looks nice and I would imagine that the cuffed sleeves would make it a rather unique piece to own.

Fred H.

Reaction score
No X 2. Plus, the vertical/horizontal patterns seem distorted. While that may be a function of the fabric, IRL you'll come to do a slow burn about how it looks down the road a bit.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I strongly dislike both the fabric pattern and the cuffed sleeves.

I do like the besom ticket pocket, however, and the pattern matching is excellent.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I tend to dress too conservatively and thought this could nudge me out of my shell.

Your negative comments will help me maintain my no-purchases-until-March pledge

Thanks.

Matt S

Reaction score
I really like the turn-back cuffs. The fabric is okay, I don't love it or hate it. But I'd get it just for the turn-back cuffs.

Kslim

Reaction score
How..unique...

Simon Radash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kslim
How..unique...

Well even though unique doesn't mean nice, I must say in this case it is pretty OK in my opinion and it's uniqueness could be one of it's strongest points.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
Cuffed sleeves are very old line Savile Row. See the photos of Ian Fleming.

fleming.jpg

Cuffed sleeves are a very traditional bespoke detail. They are often considered an Edwardian touch but they made a comeback around the 1950-60s. I like the look myself. I have spotted them on Sean Connery era James Bond coats.

The reason you don't see it outside of bespoke tailoring is that it can make sleeve alterations fiddly. The cuffs are usually cut-on rather than grown on.

BTW there is nothing wrong with the pattern matching. As for whether you like the cloth design - that is up to you. The check is unusually large.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I like them too, I don't think the average observer would think they are out of the ordinary either, they might just think the jacket was an overcoat or something. Jackets had cuffs on them for hundreds of years until the 19th century. I'd prefer a cuff that went all the way around the sleeve though, rather than the curved abbreviated one above.... it should be longer too, maybe 4 inches, those 1 or 2 inch ones look kinda weak and I think that might be part of the aversion people have with the OP pic. I thought it would look nice if 2 of the 4 cuff buttons went through a 360 degree turnback.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads