• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sports Coat - Which Colour - Beginner

Which Colour Sports Coat

• Grey

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Dark Blue with white dots

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Light Blue

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

sm719

Reaction score
Hi StyleForum Community,

First time poster here and I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for which colour is best and most versatile to go with for a sports coat/blazer that I'd be wearing with jeans or chinos.

This likely isn't meant for work (unless a casual Friday work day) and more so for going out.

I was leaning towards the light blue or the dark blue but wanted advice from the greater community as I haven't done a purchase like this before.

My Objective is:
1) something thats trendy but isn't too "out" there
2) versatile so its easy to match with various pants and shirts/sweaters (feel free if you have time to give suggestion what would match best with the blazer/sports coat you recommend)

Thank you!

The dark blue has white dots on the coat
Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 9.46.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 9.47.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 9.47.32 PM.png

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, grey will look like an orphaned suit jacket. Navy with no dots would be better, and they're all cut high and tight, but I'll pick navy with dots as the best of the bunch.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of any of them. First doesn't contrast enough with dark jeans. Second color doesn't go well either and the third looks, as the other poster mentioned, like an orphaned suit coat. With jeans, I recommend something that has some pattern to it. Some suggestions:
https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-nold-trim-fit-plaid-wool-blend-sport-coat/4707303?page=2&top=72

For fall/winter, I'm a big fan of tweed. Grey and brown tones work well - but the patterning in tweeds adds texture to the outfit:
https://www.hawesandcurtis.com/mens...eck-tweed-blazer-100percent-wool-cocws157-f21
https://www.hawesandcurtis.com/mens-brown-herringbone-tweed-blazer-100percent-wool-copws153-c01

I'm not necessarily recommending these 3 - just showing some photos for demonstration purposes.

IChen

Reaction score
I don't like solids but more patterns. I also definitely recommend grey as the best color to start out.

I think most do VERY bad with blues and browns when they start out.

Karan Chetri

Reaction score
I think the grey colour is the best option among the rest as it is versatile you can pair it with almost any colour chinos or jeans but to make it more stylish try to go for pocket squares it makes all the difference. I hope it helped.

paxonus

Reaction score
Trendy is fine, but fit is king. And none of these fit you, especially in the arms. Before you pick a color, make sure you pick one that fits.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one thinking that these all look too short?

Anachronist

Reaction score
Nope, fully agree, they are all to short... trouble is, this is a bit the issue with today's look. Most makers have taken on to the Italian cuts that were always short to begin with owing to the shorter average size of men in the Mediterranean and then trimmed them down even further to make them more casual... à la "cut off a bit more and it's still too short" ;-)

On the question at hand, I agree with some of the prior statements about going with something brown (not too dark) with pattern in it especially for autumn/winter or, if it is to be more "all year round", a navy blazer with a more structured fabric (doesn't have to be a classical one with metal buttons).

RJG

Reaction score
If I could somehow breakout a ruler for a virtual measurement...I'm seeing three inches too short on all of them. Maybe 2.5" ? Sleeves look too small for your arms, but their length looks almost OK. I would want about a .25" of shirt cuff to be seen.

They gray is my favorite of the bunch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads