Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sportcoats vs. Suitcoats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Oct 21, 2006.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Do you like your sportcoats and suitcoats to be fit the same or a bit differently?

If you prefer some differences, let us know what they are!

2. Camiceria

Camiceria Member

Do you like your sportcoats and suitcoats to be fit the same or a bit differently?

If you prefer some differences, let us know what they are!

Both cut to the bone for me. So basically no difference in chest and waist width but I prefer a slighly longer jacket in formal wear.

3. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

Basically the same, although I won't mind if the sportscoat is a bit of a looser fit, to further accomodate sweaters or the like.

4. tom288

tom288 Senior member

I prefer all of my sportcoats to usually be 2 buttons, 3 buttons dont look as good for more casual wear to me.

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I prefer soft construction for sport coats but a more structured silhouette for suits. For sports jackets i prefer the borrelli shoulder, sleevehead and very soft canvas, however for suits I prefer a roman silhouette with more defined shoulders and a more structuted overall construction.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I like my suits to fit quite closely and my sportcoats are similar. However I don't mind them being a little looser for the same reason Master Shake quotes - namely to accommodate sweaters. Also, I don't mind the sleeves being a trifle longer and showing less (even close to zero) cuff. I think that complements the less formal nature of the garment.

7. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I wear my sport coats 1/2" shorter and sometimes a bit looser, depending on the fabric and detailing.

8. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

In general, I like the fit to be the same but make a few minor changes depending on how casual I want the jacket to be worn.

For my more dressy sport coats, I like them to fit very similar to my suit jackets but I like a 3/2.5 roll on the lapels rather than a 3/2 which I like on my suits. I also usually get flaps on the sport coats rather than jetted which I get on my suits. In general, I like my jackets in this group (sports and suits) to be very tight fitting (hmmm, not sure if that`s the right expression).

If I want more casual sport coats, I will add more relaxed shoulders and patch pockets.

9. montmorency

montmorency Senior member

I prefer my suit jackets to be very fitted, with high armholes, a suppressed waist and a strong shoulder. Since sportcoats are more casual and sometimes worn over sweaters, I prefer them to have a softer shoulder, a looser fit, and lower armholes. I am aiming for the feeling of being relaxed in a sportcoat. A suit is more formal and while I want to be comfortable in my suits, I am looking for them to present a crisper look.