• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sportcoats on Ebay

YMark

Reaction score
I've done a ton of reading and am still lost when it comes to sportcoats. I've been searching Ebay trying to find some bargains since I don't wear a sportcoat all that often. However, some of the prices seem way too good to be true. It would appear that these coats must be garbage for the price that is being asked. It would be great if some people could click on the links below and give me your opinion on quality / value. Thanks http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....48&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....83&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....97&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....63&rd=1

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None are worth your time or money. The BR one is part of a suit, by the way. The price is going to go through the roof by auctions end.

YMark

Reaction score
Can someone throw out some suggestions on labels I should look for? Thanks

lisapop

Reaction score
Each of the first three jackets looks like half of a suit. The only thing I like about the last jacket is it's allegedly made of Donegal tweed, although I am suspicious of the authenticity of the Donegal cloth given the relatively modest price of the jacket. I own Donegal jackets and the cloth alone costs way more than the price of the whole jacket being auctioned.
Grayson

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Each of the first three jackets looks like half of a suit. Â The only thing I like about the last jacket is it's allegedly made of Donegal tweed, although I am suspicious of the authenticity of the Donegal cloth given the relatively modest price of the jacket. Â I own Donegal jackets and the cloth alone costs way more than the price of the whole jacket being auctioned. Grayson
too bad the lapels are gigantic

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have to ask that question, I'd suggest not looking to Ebay at this point -- and if you do go the Ebay route, look for something NWTs. Keep reading.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This Brooks Brothers is not bad. The button stance is low, but the gorge is nice. This Brioni is lovely, but obviously pricey. This Canali is fantastic. Please buy it.

Jill

Reaction score
It depends on the context in which you'll be wearing them. Â What's your size? Â How much do you wish to pay? Must it be new? Or is 2nd hand OK? Â I'd be happy to recommend some labels, but it would help to have a little more info first. In general, you can find a good looking sportcoat for $50 - $100. Â You can find a good quality sportcoat for $100 and up. It's been pretty slow on ebay lately (from a seller's perspective) so this would be a good time to get a real bargain or two.

YMark

Reaction score
It depends on the context in which you'll be wearing them. Â What's your size? Â How much do you wish to pay? Must it be new? Or is 2nd hand OK? Â I'd be happy to recommend some labels, but it would help to have a little more info first. In general, you can find a good looking sportcoat for $50 - $100. Â You can find a good quality sportcoat for $100 and up. It's been pretty slow on ebay lately (from a seller's perspective) so this would be a good time to get a real bargain or two.
Context is business casual (gasp) and also to wear to dinner, etc. My size is 40 Short. I'm 5' 7" about 150 lbs and 45 years old. Not sure about price, $100 - $150 would be good. Doesn't have to be new, but I'd rather it be. Thanks for the help.

Jill

Reaction score
Well, for starters, if you want canvas construction, then you will pay a little more IF the seller knows the difference. Â If you don't care, then you can get a great deal. Start with Oxxford, Brioni, Belvest, Canali, Valentino, Corneliani, Zegna and Hickey Freeman. You can occasionally find some pretty ones from Ralph Lauren, Burberrys, Hart Schaffner Marx, etc. Â Occasionally, Fioravanti, Jos A Bank, Brooks Brothers and Tom James. Â I'm leaving a bunch out, but those are the ones that just popped in my head. Again, before anyone e-thrashes me, I have to declare that I do not believe (some of) these to be "heirloom" pieces. Â If you are looking for a handsome sportcoat to occasionally throw over your chair at work, they will suffice. Here's a couple from our site, as an example. Â They aren't necessarily what you're looking for (since I don't know for sure what that is) Â Butif you keep your eyes open, though, and learn who the trustworthy sellers are, you can do well over time. Canali Hickey Burberrys Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads