1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sportcoats on Ebay

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by YMark, Apr 4, 2005.

1. YMark

YMark Well-Known Member

I've done a ton of reading and am still lost when it comes to sportcoats. I've been searching Ebay trying to find some bargains since I don't wear a sportcoat all that often. However, some of the prices seem way too good to be true. It would appear that these coats must be garbage for the price that is being asked. It would be great if some people could click on the links below and give me your opinion on quality / value. Thanks http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....48&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....83&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....97&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....63&rd=1

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

None are worth your time or money. The BR one is part of a suit, by the way. The price is going to go through the roof by auctions end.

3. YMark

YMark Well-Known Member

Can someone throw out some suggestions on labels I should look for? Thanks

4. lisapop

lisapop Senior Member

Each of the first three jackets looks like half of a suit. The only thing I like about the last jacket is it's allegedly made of Donegal tweed, although I am suspicious of the authenticity of the Donegal cloth given the relatively modest price of the jacket. I own Donegal jackets and the cloth alone costs way more than the price of the whole jacket being auctioned.
    Grayson

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

too bad the lapels are gigantic

6. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

If you have to ask that question, I'd suggest not looking to Ebay at this point -- and if you do go the Ebay route, look for something NWTs. Keep reading.

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

This Brooks Brothers is not bad. The button stance is low, but the gorge is nice. This Brioni is lovely, but obviously pricey. This Canali is fantastic. Please buy it.

8. Jill

Jill Senior Member

It depends on the context in which you'll be wearing them. Â What's your size? Â How much do you wish to pay? Must it be new? Or is 2nd hand OK? Â I'd be happy to recommend some labels, but it would help to have a little more info first. In general, you can find a good looking sportcoat for $50 - $100. Â You can find a good quality sportcoat for $100 and up. It's been pretty slow on ebay lately (from a seller's perspective) so this would be a good time to get a real bargain or two.

9. YMark

YMark Well-Known Member

Context is business casual (gasp) and also to wear to dinner, etc. My size is 40 Short. I'm 5' 7" about 150 lbs and 45 years old. Not sure about price, $100 - $150 would be good. Doesn't have to be new, but I'd rather it be. Thanks for the help.

10. Jill

Jill Senior Member

Well, for starters, if you want canvas construction, then you will pay a little more IF the seller knows the difference. Â If you don't care, then you can get a great deal. Start with Oxxford, Brioni, Belvest, Canali, Valentino, Corneliani, Zegna and Hickey Freeman. You can occasionally find some pretty ones from Ralph Lauren, Burberrys, Hart Schaffner Marx, etc. Â Occasionally, Fioravanti, Jos A Bank, Brooks Brothers and Tom James. Â I'm leaving a bunch out, but those are the ones that just popped in my head. Again, before anyone e-thrashes me, I have to declare that I do not believe (some of) these to be "heirloom" pieces. Â If you are looking for a handsome sportcoat to occasionally throw over your chair at work, they will suffice. Here's a couple from our site, as an example. Â They aren't necessarily what you're looking for (since I don't know for sure what that is) Â Butif you keep your eyes open, though, and learn who the trustworthy sellers are, you can do well over time. Canali Hickey Burberrys Good luck.