• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sportcoat worth the money?

Tuerney1

Reaction score
I think it's a fair deal for a discount seller/ebay. If you are patient, better deals can probably be had...but this is certainly a huge savings off retail. You might consider emailing the seller and asking if they'd take a bit lower than the Buy It Now price, if you're really interested. Many times they will, in my experience.

Not that you asked...but I'm not a big fan of that jacket. Recently, I have been looking at some outstanding tweeds for sale by British ebay sellers. The shipping really isn't too bad, given the savings.

Also, that Zegna doesn't seem too tweedy. In brown but not-tweedy like the Zegna, I saw a great jacket on ebay...it's probably not your size, but where there is one another is soon to follow. Let me go look for it.
smile.gif

Tuerney1

Reaction score

Tuerney1

Reaction score
Oh, also, this ebay seller always has quite a few tweeds. I'm not sure if they are your style or not...

http://stores.ebay.com/BOOKSTER1UK

Most are mid-range but authentic tweeds (rather than cashmere with a tweed coloring, like the Zegna...not that one is better than the other, just thought I should make that clear) but the variety can be pretty great. I bought an Aquascutum tweed hacking jacket and a Harrod's label Zegna from him.

No affiliations with any of these, obviously...and I've probably overstayed my welcome here, since no one else seems to be posting.
laugh.gif

farooqm

Reaction score
Thanks alot for all the great suggestions Tuerney. When I said tweedish I meant the pattern rather than the fabric. I prefer a cashmere jacket, call me crazy but the softer something is the more I want it, except for fat that is.....

I saw an amazing Kiton jacket that looked kinda like the Zegna one today that blew my mind, but at $4500 on sale, I think I'll have to pass. I have no problem with brioni, borelli or any other brand. Just looked for a patterned dark brown cashmere jacket
smile.gif

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the jacket. I have a Zegna sportcoat that is 15mil and it is great! Paid something like 200-300 for it. Great deal. Ask this seller if that one is a 15mil. If it is, it's great quality. But $600? If you wait long enough he might lower the price or if he continues to get no bids, you might contact him and make an offer.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket is nice but I would pass at that price (that seller tends to price his stuff pretty high imo). It's obviously better than $2000+ retail but that coat is a few years old (i say 4-5) and I am not crazy about the lapels and button stance. I think you can do better for $600 (the rust Brioni posted is better imo). If I see anything nice in brown, I'll let you know.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
The jacket is nice but I would pass at that price (that seller tends to price his stuff pretty high imo). It's obviously better than $2000+ retail but that coat is a few years old (i say 4-5) and I am not crazy about the lapels and button stance. I think you can do better for $600 (the rust Brioni posted is better imo). If I see anything nice in brown, I'll let you know.

What do you dislike about the lapels and button stance?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
What do you dislike about the lapels and button stance?

Lapels and notch are too wide for my taste; button stance is a little high and lapel doesn't seem to have a nice roll (at least from what I can see in that pic from a weird angle).

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by farooqm
Hi Guys,

Do you feel that this sportcoat is worth the asking price:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-E-Zegna-2450-...QQcmdZViewItem

I've been looking for a jacket with a dark brown tweedish look for awhile...

First, I have bought several items from him including oxxford pants , and suits and some purple label ties. He is honest and has a great return policy.

His prices are on the higher side of ebay auctions BUT the quality of the items, his service, the photo's, and return policy make purchasing from him a good buy.

I am not a big Zegna fan, but I do like this one.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tuerney1
Oh...here is one:

brioni_burtnorangecashsilk1s.jpg

That is a beautiful thing. The lapels are a tad generous for my taste, but I could live with them.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the mainline Zegna cut too indistinct at that price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads