• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport shirt sleeves too long: shrink or have tailor shorten them?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
I have many long sleeve sport shirts, the sleeves of which are too long for me anywhere from 1.5 inches to about 2.5 inches. Since these are sport shirts and not dress shirts, the sleeve lengths increase as the size of the neck increases. These are all size large (16.5 neck) and the sleeve length that fits me to a "T" is 34 inches.

I know I can easily machine dry these and shrink the sleeve length; this way I don't have to pay a tailor to shorten the sleeves. I have 16 such sport shirts (brands are Duchamp London and Thomas Dean and they're all 100% cotton of course). Yes, the neck will shrink, too, to about 16 (and that's the precise neck size I prefer).

So, gentlemen of SF, what course of action would you recommend? Machine dry to shrink or have a tailor shorten them?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
do not put your shirts in the dryer.

the entire shirt will shrink including the tail.

make sure all of these shirts are washed in their usual fashion.. so normal sleeve shrinkage is gone.

then take to your tailor
anything shortened over 1" should have sleeve plackets moved.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why not buy 16.5/34 to start with?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why not buy 16.5/34 to start with?

sport shirts are no longer sold with specific sleeve lengths. if there were 2 sleeve lengths 32/33 and 34/35. the first would be too short and the second too long.
most 16.5 size shirts come with at least a 35" sleeve some will even come through at 36.5 before shrinkage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads