• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport jackets: from 90's still in style?

o0SF0o

Reaction score
Hello, I have several sports coats I purchased in the 1990's. They have only been worn a few times, some never at all, so they are in very good condition. However, I am wondering whether they are still in style or whether they would look outdated. If you have followed trends you might have an idea of what was once in style during that decade. I recall smaller tighter fitting jackets came on the scene afterwards. I may be approaching 60 but I look 10-15 years younger and am not ready to look like Lawrence Welk is my favorite TV show when I go out with my girlfriend who is much younger.

Thank you in advance.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd have to post pictures for us to be sure, but in general the style of the 90's would look very dated today. Generous cut with heavily padded and structured shoulders, a low gorge, and low buttoning point, which is nearly the complete opposite of the current style. You would probably be well-served by picking up a new jacket or two. Avoid the trendy short body and skinny lapel look.

o0SF0o

Reaction score
Thank you. It seems that you have the style characteristics of these jackets accurately in mind. I will donate them to Goodwill.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Do you like them? Unless you frequent places where people know what the “in” style is no one would probably know the difference

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Plenty of ‘normal’ people who don’t obsess about menswear can readily tell if an outfit is dated without necessarily being able to articulate the elements that make it dated.

jaxenro

Reaction score
I think it depends on the area and the prevelance of the clothing type in general

In a sea of suits a 20 year old suit might stand out even if no one could articulate why

In a sea of tee shirts with the occasional sports coat no one really notices if it’s style is older

o0SF0o

Reaction score
I'd like to consider everything before I eliminate the option. I cannot objectively say who would notice because I am more conscious of things although I have not been following trends for a long time. I'd like to look my best. I would rather that fit the 10-15 years younger that I can appear to be. For me it is more a matter of looking my best than wanting to get some more use out of what I have yet those clothes cost money and replacing them will cost more.

jaxenro

Reaction score
I’m probably the wrong one to comment on this because if I like something I wear it even if it is 1990, or 1890, styling. If it is tasteful, fits well, and was well made to begin with the width of the lapels or length of the jacket doesn’t bother me. In fact defying modern trend I gravitate towards longer jackets than are fashionable today. It may not be the style, in style, or stylish, but it is my style.

At sixty you can get away with it. A younger man might be using clothes to establish who he is but at sixty you are past that and confident in who you are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads