• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport jackets, blazers and what they go with

alaaro

Reaction score
First of all, can someone explain the difference between a sport jacket and a blazer? Is there one?

Also, what's the consensus on wearing a sport jacket/blazer with something other than a dress shirt? What about plain t-shirts? polos?

acole

Reaction score
First of all, can someone explain the difference between a sport jacket and a blazer? Is there one?
I think "sports jacket" is a broad term for any casual 'odd jacket', as opposed to a suit or dinner jacket. And doesn't "blazer" typically denote a solid color? Â Most of the things I see called blazers are all one color and have metallic buttons. Â
Also, what's the consensus on wearing a sport jacket/blazer with something other than a dress shirt? What about plain t-shirts? polos?
Seems to me that a basic navy/black/neutral blazer is one of the most versatile items of clothing you could have...apart from the standard dress shirt and tie combo, you could wear it with a t-shirt, a polo shirt, a thin crewneck sweater, a v-neck with tee or collared shirt beneath, a turtleneck, an open-collar button-down, etc. Â I would think you could apply these rules judiciously to almost any sports jacket as long as you match colors/patterns/etc. I have a recent case in point: Took my wife to a 'rustic chic' sort of restaurant on Friday. I wore a charcoal 3-button blazer over a beige B-D oxford w/ camel+grey stripes, with an Italian silk scarf (mostly light steel blue w/ grey & beige designs) tied in a loose four-in-hand and tucked inside the open collar and shirt. Â This was over camel jeans and brown monk-straps. Â This drew several compliments, so I must have been doing something right. (Full disclosure: scarf borrowed from my wife's collection--guess that technically makes me a '***********er')
wow.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
That sounds very sharp, acole. I am pretty sure that blazers typically have metal buttons, and are navy, black or dark green (like you mentioned). That isn't to say that they don't come otherwise, but those seem to be very common solid colors. A sport coat is any coat that doesn't come with matching pants, if my memory doesn't deceive me. I don't think anyone's going to sue you if you call a sport coat a blazer, or a blazer a sport coat. I agree with acole that the sport coat is the most versatile item .. in my closet it is at least. You can wear it with nearly anything you can think of. I've found that some things tend to look good that I never would have imagined. My favorite pseudo-dressy look is a black turtleneck underneath a black sport coat with regular fit jeans. Gets kind of hot though
wow.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The name 'blazer' comes from the uniforms of the HMS Blazer which were double-breasted navy blue jackets with gold colored buttons. I won't do the whole history lesson but anyway that's the story. If you refer to a blazer in everyday life people will probably assume you mean a jacket but to clothing fanatics or in stores it refers to a class of jackets which are now usually single-breasted, dark navy or black worsted wool, and typically with metal buttons. They are associated with the preppy look because the prep schools use them as a uniform.

A 'sport coat' is, as mentioned above, an odd jacket which originally would have been used for sporting or outdoor events in the country. A typical sport coat would be a Harris Tweed jacket with or without the leather elbow patches, or a corduroy, etc.

And the usage guidelines above are absolutely correct. A jacket of either type is very versatile. Many guides for casual dressing say a black or dark navy blazer is the most versatile possible garment, for example when packing light for a trip, as with various different pants it takes on a very different role.

The main rule is never try to match pants to the jacket unless they are really from the same cloth. Always use pants that are somewhat different in color at least. Nothing looks worse (well, within reason) than a very slightly mismatched "suit" made up of a navy blazer and almost-the-same-color (or worse, black) pants.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Navy blazer with black pants is a no no? I gotta redo the focus of my wardrobe now
sad.gif
biggrin.gif

gregory

Reaction score
The name 'blazer' comes from the uniforms of the HMS Blazer which were .....
I very much agree with his definition.

I personally prefer blazers to sport coats, because I find blazers very sharp. I tend to dislike sport coats sporting rough fabrics, although silk and fine wool ones are nice.

Is it a mistake to have a navy blazer made with black/navy/grey buttons instead of metal ones?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think it's necessarily a mistake, but a plain jacket with plain buttons might look like you are missing the pants to your funeral suit. I have two blazers, one that fits and one that has dark metal buttons that are not so obvious (I don't like the shiny metal buttons myself) and I am considering just switching the buttons so I can use the jacket with jeans and whatever else without people reffering to me as "Cap'n".

gregory

Reaction score
The main rule is never try to match pants to the jacket unless they are really from the same cloth. Always use pants that are somewhat different in color at least. Nothing looks worse (well, within reason) than a very slightly mismatched "suit" made up of a navy blazer and almost-the-same-color (or worse, black) pants.
My high school uniform consisted of a white shirt, white trousers, navy blazer, light blue-white repp tie and black shoes. Extremely sharp .... always better dressed than our competitors from other schools.

I know that blazers pair well with white, tan and grey colored trousers? But do they work well (or as well) with other colors?

simeonstylites

Reaction score
The sport jacket is indeed versatile, but I find that they don't really work with very slim fitting trousers or jeans (such as Diesel Fanker jeans). The jacket looks quite large in comparison to the jeans, making your whole upper body look bigger than your lower part. What do people suggest? Are shorter sport jackets an option or perhaps no vents?

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 3 button brownish Canali sportcoat with jeans all the time. It's just a question of finding a designer that fits you well and getting it tailored properly. As for the really slim pants/jacket look, I guess maybe you'd go with a lightweight fabric cut close?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll wear a tight, short sports jacket (usually moleskin or some sort of twill) with looser bootcut jeans (like the Paper Denim GTO), or the same with loose cut jeans like Paper Denim Icons or Rogan. A looser sportsjacket with tighter, straight leg or tapered jeans is just too German businessman (never a look to aspire to) for me.

General Koskov

Reaction score
From what I have heard, and now believe, a blazer refers to either the reefer-style jacket (double-breasted, navy blue coat) with brass buttons for navy and Royal Yacht Squadron members and black horn for everyone else.

The other blazer is the colourful, striped, single-breasted coat worn by rowing teams.

Everything else, including those silver-buttoned navy-blue coats is a 'sport coat.'

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads