• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Jacket/Blazer recommendation (Links provided)

DL5392

Reaction score
Hello fellow gents!
I was just at my local TM Lewin where they are having a closing down sale. Looking to expand my wardrobe with the addition of sport jackets/blazers.
I am a final year uni student based in Australia. I have a keen interest in menswear, so will try to wear these jackets out for a nice dinner/networking events etc.
I am an Asian Chinese as well, to give a perspective of skin tone.
I recently got a dark blue suit.

First Jacket :
100% wool Navy Herringbone with 3 patch pockets (2 at the sides, 1 at the chest)

Second Jacket :
100% wool Forest Green with windowpane. 2 Patch pockets

Third Jacket :
Blue windowpane with 2 patch pockets

Fourth Jacket :
Classic Navy jacket with 2 patch pockets. 45% wool, 5 % cashmere blend

5th Jacket :
100% wool Light-brownish windowpane check.

Which of these jackets would you recommend for someone looking to elevate their wardrobe? Currently leaning towards the First or the Fourth Jacket as they are navy. Appreciate any inputs. Cheers

paxonus

Reaction score
I wouldn't go with any of them. They are all too short in the currently trendy style. A jacket should be long enough to cover your seat.

DL5392

Reaction score
I wouldn't go with any of them. They are all too short in the currently trendy style. A jacket should be long enough to cover your seat.
i tried most of them on.. quite happy with the length, given i am a little shorter. If length is not an issue, which one would you pick?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, agree that your first jacket should be a solid navy. Though the one navy blazer on that list is 45% Wool, 37% viscose, 13% tensel, 5% cashmere. Probably not a good cloth.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you should look for something else. Those jackets don't look to be very good, and you might be better served in a different aesthetic altogether.

DL5392

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys, appreciate it! Just a question, why not the first jacket? It’s navy herringbone in 100% wool, I reckon the herringbone texture is a great way to elevate a smart casual outfit. What do you guys reckon?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Your first jacket should always be a navy blazer.
Simply not true imo, even though it is very frequently said.
It simply isn't appropriate attire in many circumstances that your average man is going to find himself in today. Look around you, how many men do you see walking around in navy blazers? It's too formal for most social situations and not formal enough for most situations where there's an expectation of formal dress.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simply not true imo, even though it is very frequently said.
It simply isn't appropriate attire in many circumstances that your average man is going to find himself in today. Look around you, how many men do you see walking around in navy blazers? It's too formal for most social situations and not formal enough for most situations where there's an expectation of formal dress.
It is absolutely true. And I see plenty of men who wear navy sport coats where I work and live. Though maybe not a blazer with shiny gold buttons, if that’s what you have in mind. What single sport coat color do you think is more versatile than navy?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys, appreciate it! Just a question, why not the first jacket? It’s navy herringbone in 100% wool, I reckon the herringbone texture is a great way to elevate a smart casual outfit. What do you guys reckon?
No to the contrast buttonhole stitching. Lapels are a little skimpy.
I like the texture of the fabric but it skews quite casual. it wouldn’t be my first choice as my first sport coat.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
It is absolutely true. And I see plenty of men who wear navy sport coats where I work and live. Though maybe not a blazer with shiny gold buttons, if that’s what you have in mind. What single sport coat color do you think is more versatile than navy?
Sport coat yes, blazer no. The post I was replying to specifically said first jacket should be a navy blazer.

To be honest, I do not think the distinction between them is all that pronounced these days, but I am going by the "official SF" rules that I've picked up since I came here, which state that a blazer is a more formal, structured jacket, with metal buttons. Historically this is true, with blazers originating in upper-class rowing clubs (inspired by the dress of naval officers) and sports jackets originating in rural activities which were much less formal affairs.

Last edited:

DL5392

Reaction score
Sport coat yes, blazer no. The post I was replying to specifically said first jacket should be a navy blazer.

To be honest, I do not think the distinction between them is all that pronounced these days, but I am going by the "official SF" rules that I've picked up since I came here, which state that a blazer is a more formal, structured jacket, with metal buttons. Historically this is true, with blazers originating in upper-class rowing clubs (inspired by the dress of naval officers) and sports jackets originating in rural activities which were much less formal affairs.
Yea I agree with you, with dress codes being more casual now the line between sport coat/blazer is getting blurry. In my opinion, Suit jackets should be treated as such but when it comes to less formal occasions I wouldn't be too bothered between sport coat/blazer

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Start by visiting the most expensive menswear shop or shops where you live—not necessarily to buy, but to try on the best quality and fit, with the help of an experienced salesperson. These will usually be small independent shops, with merchandise curated by passionate owners. Then apply insights gained when you go back and shop at lower price points.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics