• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats in the cold?

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
I've grown fond of wearing sport coats but wonder how useful are they in cold weather. If you wear sport coats in the cold, how do you wear them? Do you wear an overcoat on top? Do you just avoid it entirely?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It matters how cold it is and what distance I have to cover. It can be quite brutal in the wee small hours of the morning walking to work in just a sport coat.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doc speaks wisely as usual. I would just add that you can wear a more casual coat than you would with a suit and, usually, a lighter weight one than you would wear without a sports coat underneath. One of my favorites is a Barbour waxed cotton coat.

yo!

Reaction score
The most important thing to consider is how warm do you want to be when you get to your destination? I live in MN and it gets pretty nippy sometimes. I have a few cashmere or other heavy sportcoats that I will wear when I know that the building that I will be in is cold, otherwise I will wear a coat that may be removed once I arrive.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
goodlife, do you have a pic of a sportcoat over a down vest? I am having trouble imagining it. thanks

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely trying to do the sportcoat thing this winter, +1 to the scarf & gloves. I am fairly warm blooded so that helps. Light overcoat is fine too, just bought a gray tweed I like a lot, but has to be a nice slim cut to look good. Bulky overcoat with (or without) a sports coat underneath is old man and a bad look IMHO.

Thanks for the NYT link, whey **** but good.

naoneek

Reaction score
I'd prefer wearing a Duffel Coat in the winter..sports coats..hmm they seem to be for like springy time, when it's not so cold

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a tweed with a sweater under it and a scarf and gloves.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can be hard to go a long time without another coat when you have high temps in the 20s or below. A lot of coats can look fine over a sportcoat. Just make sure the coat is longer than the sportcoat. I have a heavy leather coat (that's just longer than a sportcoat) and a vicuna topcoat. I like to wear both so it's not an issue for me.

To hold out as long as possible with just the sportcoat, try wearing an undershirt, a dress shirt, a tie, and a sweater vest. The tie is underrated as a mini-scarf. Going tieless may be cool, but it is also cold. Wrap that neck. Add gloves and a scarf and a hat, if you have a hat you like to wear. And don't wear your tightest-fitting shoes with your thinnest socks. And walk fast.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Sounds like good advice for more layers. My problem is, if I sized a nice topcoat for a sport coat underneath, that's the only way I would be able to wear it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics