• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

OverdressedNW

Reaction score
In my social circle, a dress shirt tucked into jeans is "going out" dress. Typically each man owns one suit which is reserved exclusively for funerals. No odd trousers, though at least a few have a pair of chinos. No sport coats or blazers. To wear a sport coat and odd trousers, especially with a tie, is "odd". Understand, I enjoy being the best dressed man in the room. But if I'm with family and everyone else is in jeans or shorts and t shirts or polos, why step it up to the level of a SC and trousers? Why make family uncomfortable with how poorly they are dressed? With strangers, I have no problem with it, but with family, I do. A lot of times I'll throw on a sport coat with jeans so that I look "nice" rather than "dressed up". I understand it may be non-traditional, but it makes sense to me. So here goes, I'll throw my hat in the ring with a WAYWRN. Forgive the stripes being almost exactly the same size as the check on the coat and the jeans being pretty frumpy (losing weight), I didn't foresee this being a post.

View attachment 821574

View attachment 821575

View attachment 821576
And the last endless loop of “why are you so dressed up?” ensues. But until one person does it, no one will. Keep on trying to convert that social circle over!
I’m in the same boat as far as “waiting for the degree” for better fitting pieces. Sometimes you gotta to the best with that you have.

huskiee

Reaction score
Size up and have the waist taken in. It’s free if I’m their shop.

What’s your guys favourite mid rise denim brands to pair with SCs? I’ve tried a few recently and I’m struggling to find a true mid rise that I really like.

I find many classic jeans have extremely high rises that wear odd to me.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s your guys favourite mid rise denim brands to pair with SCs? I’ve tried a few recently and I’m struggling to find a true mid rise that I really like.

the Sid denim rise is perfect, IMO. if you like the taper, they're probably the ones i'd recommend fastest (bc $150, while like double what i really want to pay for denim, is still a little easier to swallow than $200+ for other high end denim).
here's the link: https://www.sidmashburn.com/non-selvedge-rinse-denim-slim-straight-jean.html

pyunghwa

Reaction score
I’ve tried so many jeans, and surprisingly, my favourite in terms of fit and rise are Levi’s 541 (athletic taper), and I am not athletically built by any means. It has just the right amount of space in the seat and thighs, and tapers nicely.

Anyone else try it?

drfwtx

Reaction score

I haven’t tried it since they switch denim suppliers after the cone mills factory closed, but Taylor stitch actually has a pretty solid rise on their jeans. Next time I buy a pair I imagine I’ll return to them and possibly size up and have the waist taken in. Last I saw was that they are $98.

harlequin782

Reaction score
I’ve tried so many jeans, and surprisingly, my favourite in terms of fit and rise are Levi’s 541 (athletic taper), and I am not athletically built by any means. It has just the right amount of space in the seat and thighs, and tapers nicely.

Anyone else try it?

Love 541's...theyre perfect.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What makeup do you typically go for?

There is no substitute for going through the fitting process with them, I would not have come to these specs on my own, but my jeans are:

Basic/relaxed (which isn’t listed as an option on the site, but is the fit between the basic and relaxed fits), mid-high rise, standard knee, slim ankle.

inTROYspection

Reaction score

Strangely enough, I find that Norse Projects actually makes a solid mid- to high-rise jean, pairing well with sport coats. Went for them after reading this review (but I bought the Indigo one-wash denim in slim, as opposed to the raw straight leg cut in the review):

http://thenordicfit.com/articles/norse-one-raw-denim-quality-fit-and-alteration

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Resolute 710s and Orslow 107s. I don’t wear jeans and SC but the rise on the two is definitely high enough to tuck in shirt.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love my Raleigh Denim pair in their Martin fit. Medium rise (though probably the low side of medium), slight taper at the leg. Fit is fantastic.

Todd Shelton

Reaction score

Thanks @Patrick R for the mention.

@huskiee I think a guys body determines the type of rise he needs. If a guy likes the look of high-rise but his body isn’t built for it, it’s going to be odd.

Rise is the trickiest of all fit options for us here – we don’t offer rise as an option online, we deal with rise adjustments on exchanges or thru fit kit. But I’d say around 20% of our guys do adjust for rise – probably the most engaged guys.

Of guys that do adjust rise, probably 90% go higher than standard. We do increments of ¾ of an inch. Mid/High is ¾” higher than standard. High is 1 ½” higher than standard. Guys that typically need more rise: tall guys, guys with a full ass and thighs, or guys with a belly and they like the jean to come up on their belly.

For the past 10 years, I’ve worn standard rise. My jeans naturally want to drop down to my hips and when they do, I get a bit of sagging at crotch. I made a new jean last month with a ¾” lower rise. It took a minute to adjust, but it eliminated that sag and elongates the leg. I’ll do all jeans and khakis going forward with a lower rise. Point being, I think rise is all about the body.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads