• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Still not sure I believe it's you. There appears to be a foot in the picture.

It’s a weather balloon or some sort of mirage, I’m sure

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
I went with this today. Is it passable?

Silk sportscoat (circa 1987 my first sc purchase), Kahaira jeans, and AE Saddle.

0324191427.jpg

0324191428a.jpg

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it works for you rock on, I personally don't care for that outfit as a whole.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went with this today. Is it passable?

Silk sportscoat (circa 1987 my first sc purchase), Kahaira jeans, and AE Saddle.

View attachment 1149151

View attachment 1149152

Sport coats are usually harder to wear with jeans because the two elements can be so incongruent. The sport coat is dressy; the jeans casual. It's usually easier when you bring these two elements a little closer to each other, so the gap isn't so wide.

That jacket looks like it has a strong shoulder line, which generally makes it look more formal (although, not always -- it depends on the overall cut). But it would be easier to wear a sport coat with softer shoulders. (Buttoning point on that jacket also looks unusually low, so I would recommend just finding a better cut). Black jeans are a little strange. I think you'd be better off with blue. ANd I think you'd be better with a more casual pair of shoes. So not oxfords, but maybe a pair of chukkas or a pair of loafers in mid-brown suede. Tan unnaturally draws the eye downward.

Basically, I think you're trying to do too many things at once with the strong shoulders, unusual cut sport coat, black jeans, tan shoes, and the mismatch between all the different elements (tailored jacket, jeans, and oxfords). Might be better to stick to something simple and traditional and try to tweak just one element -- so soft shouldered sport coat with blue jeans, then casual shoes.

IMO, this is somewhat of a theme in many sport coat and jeans fits -- there are often too many elements when it would be better to pare everything down to just climb over the main challenge of wearing a sport coat with jeans. If you're looking for an easier sport coat, try a tweed. The rustic feel of tweed and denim is a little easier to manage than silk and denim.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Sport coats are usually harder to wear with jeans because the two elements can be so incongruent. The sport coat is dressy; the jeans casual. It's usually easier when you bring these two elements a little closer to each other, so the gap isn't so wide.

That jacket looks like it has a strong shoulder line, which generally makes it look more formal (although, not always -- it depends on the overall cut). But it would be easier to wear a sport coat with softer shoulders. (Buttoning point on that jacket also looks unusually low, so I would recommend just finding a better cut). Black jeans are a little strange. I think you'd be better off with blue. ANd I think you'd be better with a more casual pair of shoes. So not oxfords, but maybe a pair of chukkas or a pair of loafers in mid-brown suede. Tan unnaturally draws the eye downward.

Basically, I think you're trying to do too many things at once with the strong shoulders, unusual cut sport coat, black jeans, tan shoes, and the mismatch between all the different elements (tailored jacket, jeans, and oxfords). Might be better to stick to something simple and traditional and try to tweak just one element -- so soft shouldered sport coat with blue jeans, then casual shoes.

IMO, this is somewhat of a theme in many sport coat and jeans fits -- there are often too many elements when it would be better to pare everything down to just climb over the main challenge of wearing a sport coat with jeans. If you're looking for an easier sport coat, try a tweed. The rustic feel of tweed and denim is a little easier to manage than silk and denim.

Thanks for the input. I do think the cut is too formal for jeans. The jeans are blue though. I will stick with chinos for this. Thanks.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think this is a perfect summary of how to wear jeans and sport coats.

krudsma

Reaction score
How's this?

7Ojt0Tx.jpg

The wash (or sick fadez, whichever they may be) on those jeans looks too light to my eye. I feel like if it's going to work, it needs to be a clean, dark wash denim. The more wear they have, the greater the disparity in formality that DW is talking about.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's this?

7Ojt0Tx.jpg

As @krudsma mentioned, they're probably a little light to really nail it.

The wash (or sick fadez, whichever they may be) on those jeans looks too light to my eye. I feel like if it's going to work, it needs to be a clean, dark wash denim. The more wear they have, the greater the disparity in formality that DW is talking about.
AKw1Pl.gif
Definitely not sick fadez
AKw1Pl.gif

Those are all about contrast. You can have fades with a sportcoat, but not something that pulls to the more formal end like this sportcoat.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think washed jeans can work, especially with that kind of jacket, but I don't particularly care for those jeans. I also don't like black polos.

EFV posts some really nice outfits in this thread, but I also think his combos are a little harder to pull off for someone who's just trying their hand at this sort of thing. The easiest combo is a soft shouldered tweed with dark rinse jeans. But this also looks nice:

B063ED12-6F19-41C1-A4E0-65339A062FCB.jpeg

It can be hard to find the right pair of washed jeans because there are a million different iterations, which just adds complexity on top of the cut (which alone can already be difficult to nail down if you're not already familiar with denim). Some washes look bad; some look good. The color of the wash, the fading around the thigh area, the cut -- all those, I think, just makes for a more complicated shopping process than if you were to go find a simple pair of slim-straight, dark wash jeans, of which there are some easy models. Levis 1947 501s, Drake's, Lost Monarch, and even Orslow 107 can work with sport coats. With dark jeans you just have one shade. There may be sanforized or unsanforized versions (just get sanforized), but it's generally easier to find the right shade for sport coats.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads