• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To wear or not to wear. Post pics here. Let's discuss.
@Caustic Man @mossrockss @WillingToLearn @Jacobs @AJL @Murlsquirl @timotune @AlexRamius Sorry, if I'm leaving anyone out.

Some examples.

CM
821282-b9a6cb073d80678bf859d35735f17842.jpg

Moss
upload_2017-7-30_20-2-54.png

AAS
tumblr_o4f1imAeUe1qdxoa9o1_500.jpg

I want to say Angel Ramos
jacket1.png

Sabir
blazer-turtleneck-skinny-jeans-original-14300.jpg

Fred
602ffeb78b6d0c0f3fc746e1ab38b1ee--herringbone-jacket-summer-jacket.jpg

Jacobs

Reaction score
In my social circle, a dress shirt tucked into jeans is "going out" dress. Typically each man owns one suit which is reserved exclusively for funerals. No odd trousers, though at least a few have a pair of chinos. No sport coats or blazers. To wear a sport coat and odd trousers, especially with a tie, is "odd". Understand, I enjoy being the best dressed man in the room. But if I'm with family and everyone else is in jeans or shorts and t shirts or polos, why step it up to the level of a SC and trousers? Why make family uncomfortable with how poorly they are dressed? With strangers, I have no problem with it, but with family, I do. A lot of times I'll throw on a sport coat with jeans so that I look "nice" rather than "dressed up". I understand it may be non-traditional, but it makes sense to me. So here goes, I'll throw my hat in the ring with a WAYWRN. Forgive the stripes being almost exactly the same size as the check on the coat and the jeans being pretty frumpy (losing weight), I didn't foresee this being a post.

IMG_5697.JPG

IMG_5699.JPG

IMG_5698.JPG

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But if I'm with family and everyone else is in jeans or shorts and t shirts or polos, why step it up to the level of a SC and trousers? Why make family uncomfortable with how poorly they are dressed? With strangers, I have no problem with it, but with family, I do. A lot of times I'll throw on a sport coat with jeans so that I look "nice" rather than "dressed up". I understand it may be non-traditional, but it makes sense to me. So here goes, I'll throw my hat in the ring with a WAYWRN. Forgive the stripes being almost exactly the same size as the check on the coat and the jeans being pretty frumpy (losing weight), I didn't foresee this being a post.

Umm, I don't know if you want advice, but those lapels are too small for your frame. The jacket is also too short (it probably sits at the top of your buttocks).

Jacobs

Reaction score
Thanks @norcaltransplant.

I know, but until I get my degree I buy off Ebay. I'm tall enough for a long but my arms are well served by a regular, so I go with the regular and show a little shirt cuff sometimes, which I prefer over having an extra inch or two on my butt. Beggars can't be choosers, and I've decided I prefer not saying "I know this jacket is boxy/lapels too small/too short/pants rise too low" with every post here. It wears you down eventually. Lol.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my social circle, a dress shirt tucked into jeans is "going out" dress. Typically each man owns one suit which is reserved exclusively for funerals. No odd trousers, though at least a few have a pair of chinos. No sport coats or blazers. To wear a sport coat and odd trousers, especially with a tie, is "odd". Understand, I enjoy being the best dressed man in the room. But if I'm with family and everyone else is in jeans or shorts and t shirts or polos, why step it up to the level of a SC and trousers? Why make family uncomfortable with how poorly they are dressed? With strangers, I have no problem with it, but with family, I do. A lot of times I'll throw on a sport coat with jeans so that I look "nice" rather than "dressed up". I understand it may be non-traditional, but it makes sense to me. So here goes, I'll throw my hat in the ring with a WAYWRN. Forgive the stripes being almost exactly the same size as the check on the coat and the jeans being pretty frumpy (losing weight), I didn't foresee this being a post.

View attachment 821574

View attachment 821575

View attachment 821576
We'll put about the difference between dressing up and looking nice. An important distinction in the average persons mind. It is truely unfortunate that dressing up/looking nice has the effect of making some feel uncomfortable/inadequate. I've luckily only gotten that comment at work and not with family. I think jeans and sport coat make a sport coat more relatable to the average person. Especially when the sport coat can be thought of as outerwear just to stay warm like Sabir's look up top.

Congrats on the weight lost. I agree that the jacket looks a bit short on you. However, I don't mind shorter jackets with jeans. It lowers the formality IMO. If anything, I'd just change the shirt to a solid OCBD and keep the jacket unbuttoned.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Subscribed. Let me see if I have anything on my phone

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent idea for a thread. I do this all the time.

All indications are that summer is winding down here, so I'll post something later if weather permits.

Edit - One from the archives:

1020310.jpg

Last edited:

Jacobs

Reaction score
Really dig the first two. Tweed (or fabrics that are visually similar) was made for wearing outside in rough conditions, just like jeans. To me, the two go hand in hand perfectly, but others don't seem to see this. Sometimes I feel like it's because jeans aren't British enough, honestly.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really dig the first two. Tweed (or fabrics that are visually similar) was made for wearing outside in rough conditions, just like jeans. To me, the two go hand in hand perfectly, but others don't seem to see this. Sometimes I feel like it's because jeans aren't British enough, honestly.

The first 2 swatches were both ones suggested by member Edmorel and jackets were made by him. I let him know my work was changing and I needed something a bit less structured and more relaxed. He suggested both cloths and he created a light weight unconstructed jacket which makes it super easy to wear with denim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads