• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

TheJoker932

Reaction score
when I was in my mid teens I used to wear a blazer with black jeans sometimes
but I could never bring myself to put a waistcoat on as well
the jeans could have passed for needle cords but I'd still know

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not quite sure why jeans should be high waisted to wear them with a jacket. I wear my jackets with cheap medium waisted Wranglers and it looks OK IMO:

View attachment 1820091
I like this. The balance between jacket and jeans looks good (silhouette wise).

ive been thinking about it. As a general rule, what fabrics work best against denim? Somehow a really refined fabric clashes against the texture of the denim. Maybe a tweed jacket like above?

I’m skeptical, overall, with a blazer, maybe even cashmere or flannel.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Really great jacket. Who makes it? and what size is that?
It’s bespoke, so it’s my size ;) Smth between 50 (chest, back, shoulders) and 48 (waist). Made by Dawid Kuklinski, tailor from Poland. Here are some details about it:

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well anything looks good with a well cut bespoke jacket ;)

No, I think he's right. The casual nature of jeans, with the fabric + cut, lends itself well to casual jacketing pairings. Casual jackets + casual denim works well, as long as you don't go full cowboy (although I'd wear the heck out of this fit if I were riding my horse into town).

65003-SPORT-COAT-__95438.jpg

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I think he's right. The casual nature of jeans, with the fabric + cut, lends itself well to casual jacketing pairings. Casual jackets + casual denim works well, as long as you don't go full cowboy (although I'd wear the heck out of this fit if I were riding my horse into town).

View attachment 1820372
Yes, well Rabbit's jackets already have a rather low buttoning point and is a bit longer than your common RTW jackets you see on men who wears jackets and jeans.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casual jackets + casual denim works well, as long as you don't go full cowboy (although I'd wear the heck out of this fit if I were riding my horse into town).

This is what I was getting to above. If you take a 4 ply suit jacket, for example, and break it up using it as a jacket, I don't think it'd look good with denim. Whereas the casual tweed (not sure what the specific fabric is) of rabbit looks great. I have a navy donegal tweed jacket, I'm not sure would look great with denim, even though its bespoke.

Perhaps the answer is that patterns work well with denim - idk. What fabrics during the summer would work best with denim?

Also, whats wrong with going full cowboy? I prefer my jeans with cowboy boots!

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gray herringbone tweed
More or less any brown tweed

probably a wool/linen/silk gun check for summer?

@emptym has a great undyed PoW check that looks great with jeans

emptym

Reaction score
I think this is the one @mak1277 is referring to:
IMG_7531.JPG

It's prob my favorite jacket. The fabric is a Breanish tweed made of two colors of unbleached, undyed wool, organized by the late, great @T4phage. @SpierTeam has a similar jacket for sale, iirc, just a smaller check.

A.D.

Reaction score
Anyone tried Berg & Berg jeans? They seem to be good value now, being on sale, but I’ve never had such a high rise. Any experience or thoughts?

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried Berg & Berg jeans? They seem to be good value now, being on sale, but I’ve never had such a high rise. Any experience or thoughts?

I bought the lightest version of their jean and the fit is different, but really nice imo. The high rise is comfy and the denim is pretty lightweight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads