• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice win!
There appears to be some drape just above the breast pocket, so I’d say not too tight in the chest on the basis of that.
Thanks - I love how airy really good silk is. RJ makes a nice garment. @sugarbutch check out these action poses.

IMG_20220527_081621__01~2.jpg
IMG_20220527_081625__01~2.jpg
IMG_20220527_081637__01~2.jpg
IMG_20220527_081714__01~2.jpg
IMG_20220527_081722__01~2.jpg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chest looks fine to me. It does hang up a bit at the low back, though.
I have a substantial seat. All of my OTR unlined jackets do that to some degree on me, especially lighterweight ones like this silk. I'm more concerned about the very high armholes, but if you think it looks fine, maybe it's just in her mind.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a substantial seat. All of my OTR unlined jackets do that to some degree on me, especially lighterweight ones like this silk. I'm more concerned about the very high armholes, but if you think it looks fine, maybe it's just in her mind.
In my experience, if I'm concerned about any aspect of a jacket, that concern never really goes away.

Chuss92

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Is it me or a typical English tweed sport coat (cut quite long and maybe with three buttons) really doesn't look good when paired with jeans, even if they are rather high waisted?

I could attach a pic of such combination but can't make myself do it. :)

Mirage-

Reaction score
My problem is that basically no pair of jeans (except repro stuff from ultra niche brands, and besides being super expensive i don't find them comfortable when sitting) are high waisted enough to go well with open quarters jackets, if the exposed shirting really bothers you, as it does to me (even though I realise absolutely no one I meet cares).
Closed quarters jackets tend to be very structured, so not suited to jeans and not my preference anyway.
So I guess the only way to wear the combination is never buttoning the jacket, and personally I prefer to have that option, at least for warmth if not style (I don't like wearing undershirts either).

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My problem is that basically no pair of jeans (except repro stuff from ultra niche brands, and besides being super expensive i don't find them comfortable when sitting) are high waisted enough to go well with open quarters jackets, if the exposed shirting really bothers you, as it does to me (even though I realise absolutely no one I meet cares).
Closed quarters jackets tend to be very structured, so not suited to jeans and not my preference anyway.
So I guess the only way to wear the combination is never buttoning the jacket, and personally I prefer to have that option, at least for warmth if not style (I don't like wearing undershirts either).
I just bought a pair of jeans from Berg & Berg and they are actually high enough to be worn with a SC. They are on sale and cost about 150€ or so.

Chuss92

Reaction score
Never was a fan of the shirt or sweater triangle showing between the jacket buttoning point and the trousers. B-)

Mirage-

Reaction score
Yes, knitwear helps in that sense as it looks normal imo, but with tucked-in shirts, it really annoys me. I am mostly talking without knitwear, since I can't really wear knitwear AND tailoring in my office, not even in winter it's cold enough given the building's heating. At most I could (and hope to) bring a sleeveless cardigan, to remove after the early morning probably, but I am still looking for one that isn't so pointlessly long.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Yes, knitwear helps in that sense as it looks normal imo, but with tucked-in shirts, it really annoys me. I am mostly talking without knitwear, since I can't really wear knitwear AND tailoring in my office, not even in winter it's cold enough given the building's heating. At most I could (and hope to) bring a sleeveless cardigan, to remove after the early morning probably, but I am still looking for one that isn't so pointlessly long.
I agree that knitwear plus jacket is usually too warm for a modern office. If I’m wearing a jacket and a sweater, usually I take the jacket off after arriving to work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads