• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

MaE

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I like to keep it simple when I wear a sport coat with jeans.

50f3f110.jpg

Here I wear some mid-rise Jeans from Indigofera (they are quite new and raw, I’ll wait to wear them a bite more, then wash them and bring it to my tailor to adjust the length, I prefer to wear uncuffed jeans with my sport coats), a lighter blue Turtleneck, Weston Golfs and a MTM SC in tweed from a local supplier here in Switzerland.

emptym

Reaction score
IMG_7531 2.jpeg

13 yr old Levis, the cheap STFs (I think $20 at the Mervyns going out of business, RIP), with Chan/Breanish sc, Luxire shirt, no-name belt my sister bought for me in Florence in 1985, and Frye boots. Also posted in the recent Friday thread.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1324745
13 yr old Levis, the cheap STFs (I think $20 at the Mervyns going out of business, RIP), with Chan/Breanish sc, Luxire shirt, no-name belt my sister bought for me in Florence in 1985, and Frye boots. Also posted in the recent Friday thread.

Just my opinion, but I think those jeans do the outfit a disservice. Such a lovely jacket.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer tips on some sartorially acceptable jeans that can function as workhorses and won't break the bank? Would like to stay away from Levi for the most part. I literally don't own a single pair of jeans.

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
We did a photoshoot earlier this month and we shot a few outfits with jeans and sport coats. A girl on staff had seen a photo of Keanu Reeves in a hoodie and blazer, and asked if we could do a similar look. So this was a quick bonus shot. Any thoughts about a hoodie under a blazer?

2020_0127_styleforum.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can anyone offer tips on some sartorially acceptable jeans that can function as workhorses and won't break the bank? Would like to stay away from Levi for the most part. I literally don't own a single pair of jeans.

Banana Republic is an option. No crazy pocket designs. Decent fit. Not expensive.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did a photoshoot earlier this month and we shot a few outfits with jeans and sport coats. A girl on staff had seen a photo of Keanu Reeves in a hoodie and blazer, and asked if we could do a similar look. So this was a quick bonus shot. Any thoughts about a hoodie under a blazer?

View attachment 1325246

It can work but, requires the look and style of the hoodie to be similar to that of the jacket and the rest of the outfit. For example, an unconstructed wool knit blazer over a simple, thin merino wool hoodie could work. I don't see a more typical cotton athletic style hoodie working at all.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So much of it is about how they fit your build and not a particular brand. You will need to try on several brands and fits to get the right mix of comfort and fit that works for you.

emptym

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think those jeans do the outfit a disservice. Such a lovely jacket.
Oh yeah, how come? I'm guessing you'd prefer darker, newer denim. There seem to be two camps, one that prefers dark, new jeans w/ SC, and those who like worn, broken in denim. I like both.

View attachment 1325246
I like this, but I am from Las Vegas.:embar:

I probably wouldn't do it, just because I don't wear a lot of hoodies. But imo, a basic gray heathered hoodie could look good under a corduroy or tweed SC.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Oh yeah, how come? I'm guessing you'd prefer darker, newer denim. There seem to be two camps, one that prefers dark, new jeans w/ SC, and those who like worn, broken in denim. I like both.

I probably wouldn't do it, just because I don't wear a lot of hoodies. But imo, a basic gray heathered hoodie could look good under a corduroy or tweed SC.
I'm with you on liking both "types" of denim, depending on the other colors in the outfit.

I do wear a lot of hoodies, and I've tried the look you described, and didn't think it worked for me. Or, it looked like I was "trying too hard". I prefer the look of a hoodie with a dark check wool car coat or my navy corduroy "trench" coat - the casualness of the hoodie pairs better with these. If anything it's expected with the trench.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the hoodie picture is interesting. On your website you give this story about how it was named "Electric Company":

A customer walked into the factory, picked up his new hoodie and said, “I’m going to put the electric company out of business with this thing.” Electric Company is the best hoodie fabric we've seen. It's thick, durable, and maintains a clean surface wash after wash.

I have that exact hoodie in my closet (two of them, in fact).
ElectricCompany.jpg

I'm not a particularly "big" guy, but I am not model thin. By the time I have the bulk of this hoodie, there is zero chance I'm throwing on one of my tailored sport coats and and not feeling like it is too bulky or to top heavy.

But I can see why someone might like the image you posted. And I can definitely see why a photo of Keanu sporting that look might be pretty cool to someone.

If I were a thinner guy, in a thinner hoodie, with a more casual jacket, and in an environment where I might not feel ridiculous mixing a hoodie with a jacket (I love the Vegas reference, it paints the picture well), I think it would be fun to wear. But I haven't gone out of my way to put together pieces to pull off that look, so if I tried with what I have, it would be a train wreck.

For fun, I will probably explore that train wreck tonight in my closet, but I will probably not be sharing the laughs publicly.

Last edited:

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
I do wear a lot of hoodies, and I've tried the look you described, and didn't think it worked for me. Or, it looked like I was "trying too hard". I prefer the look of a hoodie with a dark check wool car coat or my navy corduroy "trench" coat - the casualness of the hoodie pairs better with these. If anything it's expected with the trench.
It does have a vibe that could be interpreted as "trying too hard". I think in Keanu's case, it's just who he is. https://www.gq.com/gallery/keanu-reeves-has-never-taken-off-his-blazer To me it has a John Varvatos, older rock-n-roller vibe.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Exactly. In fact, my "trench" is from Varvatos, and I refer to it as my "David Bowie coat". Here's a terrible catalog shot:

CORDUROY-TRENCH-COAT.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads