• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The way these have been rewoven strengthens and stiffens the fabric considerably. It’s hard to tell that they’ve been repaired at all.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where does one find higher rise jeans in dark wash that's less than $200?

I tried Wrangler's Cowboy Cut in slim fit and they were super tight everywhere.

I then went up one size and went for their original Cowboy Cut and it was way too loose all around and loved to form a crotch tent at all times.

I've seen people recommend Orslow and Todd Shelton, and those prices are the same as what my local tailor charges for MTM trousers, which is ridiculous.

Buy new/old Levis 501's on ebay either from the 80-90's. They should have 6-7 buttons on the fly. You can buy them for 30$. Have your tailor/seamstress taper the legs. The longer the inseam, the higher the rise.

-DL

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Addressing price. Typically our guy has a specific fit in mind and he wants to be able to get it consistently – and we try to make that happen for him. The service and manufacturing to make that happen is time intensive and that’s where $275 comes in.

Like any new company, we try to solve a problem that the bigger industry doesn’t solve. If a guy doesn’t have a jean problem, and he’s happy with Levi’s or Wrangler, $275 is too much. But if he’s frustrated, feels as if he’s spent too much time trying to find the jean he wants, $275 adds up - if it saves time and solves his problem.

I don’t disagree, $275 is a lot of money for a jean. But I don’t think it’s ridiculous if it solves a problem.

As for the Wrangler Cowboy cut, I'd try one size up in Slim fit (not original fit) and if it's reasonable, then allow it to stretch out or ease with wear.
Thanks for the response Todd, all of that makes sense to me now.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy new/old Levis 501's on ebay either from the 80-90's. They should have 6-7 buttons on the fly. You can buy them for 30$. Have your tailor/seamstress taper the legs. The longer the inseam, the higher the rise.

-DL
I thought the inseam has no relation to the rise?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought the inseam has no relation to the rise?
As physical measurements, they don't. However, clothing for taller/shorter people will generally incorporate a proportionately taller/shorter rise as well. So, longer inseam = taller person = taller rise (again, generally).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
High waisted jeans are for the friggin birds. They make a middle aged man look like an old man. Forget everything 50+ year old dudes in this thread have opined about them. Just stay away from those ***** at all costs. Trust me.

View attachment 1306873

You def don't want high rise jeans, but low rise jeans don't look good with a tucked-in shirt. Especially if you wear them with a sport coat.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't. Can you post some pics that show that?

I’m actually a little scared to see what he comes up with!

IMO, by today’s standards these 14” front rise jeans qualify as high-rise - ideal for shirt tucking and sports coats. That’s nearly three inches higher than the Weird Guy fit in N&F.
51999932-143C-4DFC-B7E9-4473DA7D64AB.jpeg

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m actually a little scared to see what he comes up with!

IMO, by today’s standards these 14” front rise jeans qualify as high-rise - ideal for shirt tucking and sports coats. That’s nearly three inches higher than the Weird Guy fit in N&F.
View attachment 1307179
what brand?

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
What’s with this upturned cuffs fad on jeans?

it breaks the line and makes most people look fat

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads