• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where does one find higher rise jeans in dark wash that's less than $200?

I tried Wrangler's Cowboy Cut in slim fit and they were super tight everywhere.

I then went up one size and went for their original Cowboy Cut and it was way too loose all around and loved to form a crotch tent at all times.

I've seen people recommend Orslow and Todd Shelton, and those prices are the same as what my local tailor charges for MTM trousers, which is ridiculous.

If you don’t mind waiting, you can get a lot of nice denims in CianoFarmer’s Miner Cut for under $200. Custom length or full custom for more. High waisted with a taper that’s well suited to sportscoat wear (I have slimmer N&F for more casual wear). Size down one from your normal (S&M) size due to silly vanity sizing.

Last edited:

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Levi’s 501 shrink to fit in rigid denim is a massive bargain

these are THE jeans that all of these $300 geeks aspire to be

and they’re like $40

I don’t mind spending more when it makes sense but we should be able to recognize the true bargains that remain

are they exactly the same as 1890? Maybe not but they are still very good

you just need to know how to break them in and be patient

I have a pair that is 3 years old and they are just about perfect

I started up a new pair this fall. There is no shortcut- the new ones will gradually take over as the old ones fall apart. They look best though just before they fall apart

the whole point with jeans is they’re supposed to be lived in and authentic (ie, not perfect)

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
On the sportcoat thing, when your Levi’s get really worn in, just about everything looks good with them

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@brillopad's Lost Monarch is also worth a look. I haven't tried them, but Ian has a good eye for stuff. Jeans are only $150, which is relatively inexpensive as far as these things go

They're all sold out at the moment, but I assume he'll restock

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don’t mind waiting, you can get a lot of nice denims in CianoFarmer’s Miner Cut for under $200. Custom length or full custom for more. High waisted with a taper that’s well suited to sportscoat wear (I have slimmer N&F for more casual wear). Size down one from your normal (S&M) size die to silly vanity sizing.
Don't mind waiting at all, definitely not in a rush.

I checked out their website and it seems incredibly customizable and exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for this man, much appreciated.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also Edwin, Japan blue, Blackhorse lane and naked and famous have jeans priced below 200 USD.

I find that jeans wear out faster than most other trousers. Since my oldest son was Born 5 years ago i have worn through the knees on four pairs of selvedge jeans, whereas all my cotton twill chinos are undamage.

Hellbent

Reaction score
Costco has $20 jeans. Buy those and press a crease into them. Then become a landed Italian aristocrat and wait till you're 80 years old. Now hire a gardener and fall in love with your gardener's daughter (if people say this is creepy, pay them no mind, as this is part of the sartorial journey). Now have your tailor alter them for you and remove any brand tags, so as to appear nonchalant (also, make sure you're nonchalant). This way you can avoid paying $250 for Orslow jeans.
Or you simply pay $250 for jeans and end up looking like $20. Then secure an apprenticeship at the gardener, whereby you proceed to overwhelm the daughter with your casual charm and live happily together ever after.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don’t mind waiting, you can get a lot of nice denims in CianoFarmer’s Miner Cut for under $200. Custom length or full custom for more. High waisted with a taper that’s well suited to sportscoat wear (I have slimmer N&F for more casual wear). Size down one from your normal (S&M) size die to silly vanity sizing.

High waisted jeans are for the friggin birds. They make a middle aged man look like an old man. Forget everything 50+ year old dudes in this thread have opined about them. Just stay away from those ***** at all costs. Trust me.

giphy (59).gif

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
Where does one find higher rise jeans in dark wash that's less than $200?

I tried Wrangler's Cowboy Cut in slim fit and they were super tight everywhere.

I then went up one size and went for their original Cowboy Cut and it was way too loose all around and loved to form a crotch tent at all times.

I've seen people recommend Orslow and Todd Shelton, and those prices are the same as what my local tailor charges for MTM trousers, which is ridiculous.
Addressing price. Typically our guy has a specific fit in mind and he wants to be able to get it consistently – and we try to make that happen for him. The service and manufacturing to make that happen is time intensive and that’s where $275 comes in.

Like any new company, we try to solve a problem that the bigger industry doesn’t solve. If a guy doesn’t have a jean problem, and he’s happy with Levi’s or Wrangler, $275 is too much. But if he’s frustrated, feels as if he’s spent too much time trying to find the jean he wants, $275 adds up - if it saves time and solves his problem.

I don’t disagree, $275 is a lot of money for a jean. But I don’t think it’s ridiculous if it solves a problem.

As for the Wrangler Cowboy cut, I'd try one size up in Slim fit (not original fit) and if it's reasonable, then allow it to stretch out or ease with wear.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
It’s not insane to me how jeans could cost $300+

plus I get the logic of if you wear it all the time, why not get the best

it’s just that I rarely see dudes rocking $300 jeans who actually look better in them than regular 501s

often they look overly fussy which is the antithesis of the whole thing

I guess if you bought $300 jeans and didn’t worry about f’ing them up you’d get somewhere

but when you spend that much the tendency is to baby them which sort of defeats the purpose

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@brillopad's Lost Monarch is also worth a look. I haven't tried them, but Ian has a good eye for stuff. Jeans are only $150, which is relatively inexpensive as far as these things go

They're all sold out at the moment, but I assume he'll restock

Working on the V2 pattern now, planning on having it up in the first half of 2020 hopefully.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as you don't paint in them, spill grease on them, or damage them mechanically it's pretty hard to **** up a pair of jeans.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The $275 Raleigh Denim jeans I bought 8 years ago are still worn almost daily. I’ve had them patched twice already.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a point when the thighs get so thin they hang in a way I don't like but that's me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads