• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

flashjack

Reaction score
I like Resolute 710s and Orslow 107s. I don’t wear jeans and SC but the rise on the two is definitely high enough to tuck in shirt.
I've been considering both of these options, which would you say has a roomier top block?

huskiee

Reaction score
Thanks @Patrick R for the mention.

@huskiee I think a guys body determines the type of rise he needs. If a guy likes the look of high-rise but his body isn’t built for it, it’s going to be odd.

Rise is the trickiest of all fit options for us here – we don’t offer rise as an option online, we deal with rise adjustments on exchanges or thru fit kit. But I’d say around 20% of our guys do adjust for rise – probably the most engaged guys.

Of guys that do adjust rise, probably 90% go higher than standard. We do increments of ¾ of an inch. Mid/High is ¾” higher than standard. High is 1 ½” higher than standard. Guys that typically need more rise: tall guys, guys with a full ass and thighs, or guys with a belly and they like the jean to come up on their belly.

For the past 10 years, I’ve worn standard rise. My jeans naturally want to drop down to my hips and when they do, I get a bit of sagging at crotch. I made a new jean last month with a ¾” lower rise. It took a minute to adjust, but it eliminated that sag and elongates the leg. I’ll do all jeans and khakis going forward with a lower rise. Point being, I think rise is all about the body.

Yup agree on that. I like standard rise jeans typically, but they seem less common, with most jeans either being very low or very high. What I have found left in the middle - classics like 501s - I don’t like for other reasons.

I‘ll definitely check out your online store.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ANother nice jacket. Are those sleeves a drop too short?

Yep. Both jackets I posted here in succession are actually up on ebay now. The first is a drop too slim for me, the second is a drop too short. They're really nice jackets otherwise - shame!

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still continuously wearing sportcoats with jeans.

because i'm kinda cheap i haven't updated the jeans i wear most of the time in a while. my go-to pair are slim fit selvedge jeans from american eagle in a mid wash that i got for… $29, i wanna say? my fave pair are Rugby RL's from 6 years ago in a dark wash that i rarely wear bc i don't want them to fade too much, at least until i can find another pair that fit the same (thinking the 3sixteen sl-100x might be the ticket and at some point i just might break down and get a pair. or if @brillopad ever tells me the knee measurement on his jeans, maybe those).

i did splurge on a pair of Sid's natural denim (which to be honest, are almost as tapered as the AE's. just a half inch more in circumference at the hem maybe).

anyway, here's a couple of posed pics from yesterday with the AE's.

View attachment 1280272 View attachment 1280273

I'm so glad i posted this bc afterward i looked on ebay and found a pair of my favorite Rugby RL jeans, same exact size, same exact model/season as indicated by the exact item # on the tag, barely worn, for $50.

thanks everyone, really this was a team effort.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With OCBD.

Attachments

• 20191209_114328.jpg
    20191209_114328.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 243

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the current forum recommendation regarding jeans to wear with SCs?

I own edwind ed-80 and gustin but find their rise some what low. I have been think about trying Japan blue high tapered or naked and famous easy guy..

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I own edwind ed-80 and gustin but find their rise some what low. I have been think about trying Japan blue high tapered or naked and famous easy guy..

i like drakes, blackhorse lane nw3, and lvc 1947 501s. some guys also do orslow 107, but i find that works better with slim tailoring (eg nsm), not something like steed's drape cut

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a simple man with simple tastes. I currently like Lee's athletic cut, as well as Goodthreads dark selvedge.

dazedstate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like drakes, blackhorse lane nw3, and lvc 1947 501s. some guys also do orslow 107, but i find that works better with slim tailoring (eg nsm), not something like steed's drape cut
I can cosign the Blackhorse Lane NW3. Perfect rise for wear with a sportcoat.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One page back I made the recommendation of Todd Shelton jeans. Simple reason is you get exactly what you want, which means you can get something that goes perfectly with SCs if you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads