Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sport Coats and Jeans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by An Acute Style, Jul 30, 2017.

1. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

Note that societal expectations differ depending on your position in society. Artists, professors, even some business leaders are supposed to be different, because of their role requiring strongly original thinking. It can be taking a refined, bourgeois, conformist elegance to its extreme (Proust, who was always overdressed), it can be dandyism (the late Tom Wolfe, Roger Stone), it can be the total rejection of vestimental codes (Houellebecq, who even let his body rot away for maximum shock value; various tech luminaries).

Societies themselves have different standards, Riva is a good example - his flashy style blends in well amongst the peacocking Singaporean males (who nevertheless kind of expect me to dress like an ang moh, which I happily oblige) but would draw stares in Central London until the 1990s or 2000s (after which the foreigner influx kind of diluted the previous habits) - which is ironic considering e.g. his British racing green belt is made by a very traditional British company... Yuri Modin recalls meeting one of the Cambridge Five (I think Burgess) at a pub where the cut of his jacket was enough to have the whole room go silent and stare at him (which is why he thought Burgess was an idiot for asking him to meet there).

What I find most difficult about dressing well is having a wide enough palette in my wardrobe, and deep enough understanding of each setting, to dress to the occasion.

2. Riva

Riva Senior Member

LOL an hour ago I just put 4 of my old suits to have the jackets shortened to catch up with the times. I think his jacket makes him looks taller, no need to be afraid to show the butt. Plus it's a casual jacket where having more flair and style is ok.

3. Riva

Riva Senior Member

Well said though I'm not in SG (often) and where I'm at I am very different. Though in a good way given the attention I get from those whom I'm trying to attract. Bottomline imo is the result of your efforts.

PS: I will post my slobby style when in Paris and Milan next month. The coverup mode for those tourist targeting thieves. Last time I had my phone stolen so my effort wasn't successful :)

4. Epicure

Epicure Senior Member

Hmm. Depending on just how long they are, you might want to be careful there. There's no going back once you hack the bottom of a jacket!
    In regard to your comments about IEG's jacket, yes, for those who aren't so tall, it's usually going to be better to err on the shorter side than have a jacket that's too long, especially with such a casual fit as this one.

5. IEG

IEG Senior Member

Awesome

6. colHolm

colHolm Senior Member

7. IEG

IEG Senior Member

8. colHolm

colHolm Senior Member

Thanks man! It's a Samuelsohn made up in Zegna Cross-ply fabric (wool/silk/linen blend).

9. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

10. mossrockss

mossrockss Distinguished Member

:slayer:

11. colHolm

colHolm Senior Member

Thanks! It was a great find at an amazing price.

12. Moose22

Moose22 Senior Member

13. colHolm

colHolm Senior Member

Thank you very much!

14. justinkapur

justinkapur Distinguished Member

I dont dress because I am influenced by others. I dress the way I like and it is different from what people generally conform to. Theres a difference there.

15. Riva

Riva Senior Member

I thought you meant to say that you make the effort to dress differently from others.