• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

chiconice

Reaction score
I like the jacket. The suede looks great.

Really dislike the Polo with the fit. I think the SF thing of wearing polos with sport coats is really bad in general. I can see wearing a short sleeve Polo with a very casual unstructured linen or cotton jacket in the Spring/Summer. But otherwise, no.
Sport coat, a dress shirt and wool trousers it's always the best look but sometimes it doesn't work to everyone social circles. Jeans and SC it self it's not popular in SF but many of us need to dress down to fit in. In my social circle only my cousin has a master degree(who I out dress) this give you an idea, that dressing down it's a must. When a SC too dressy , I can take it off and with my jeans, long sleeve polo and suede shoes I will fit in with my tribe.

pickergc

Reaction score
After a 10 year hiatus from raw selvedge jawnz... RIP superfuture

Need to nip the hem and taper slightly.

Pickering_October-43.jpg

my best @DavidLane
Pickering_October-44.jpg

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Blackhorse Lane Denim (maker for Drakes denim). NW1 fit, which is a relaxed straight. Loving them with sport coats so far. Hell of a pair of jeans for the price and this 14oz Turkish selvedge is quite soft and has a nice drape compared to most heavy starched Japanese selvedge.

2018-10-24 13.32.29_edited-3.jpg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Blackhorse Lane Denim (maker for Drakes denim). NW1 fit, which is a relaxed straight. Loving them with sport coats so far. Hell of a pair of jeans for the price and this 14oz Turkish selvedge is quite soft and has a nice drape compared to most heavy starched Japanese selvedge.

View attachment 1063542
I think I've asked you this before, but details on the jacket?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday night shenanigans. Tweed is Abraham Moon for J Crew:
View attachment 1064656

View attachment 1064655

It’s actually a 3/2, but for whatever reason it rolled back in this pic.
Is that recent?
I got a NOS J Crew herringbone tweed off eBay some years ago. Heavy weight and very spongey, swelled edges etc. it had patch and flap hip pockets which looked like saddlebags so I had the flaps removed.
Their recent collaboration with Moon seems to use much more refined tweed, but I thought they’d given up on 3 button SBs a few years ago??

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that recent?
I got a NOS J Crew herringbone tweed off eBay some years ago. Heavy weight and very spongey, swelled edges etc. it had patch and flap hip pockets which looked like saddlebags so I had the flaps removed.
Their recent collaboration with Moon seems to use much more refined tweed, but I thought they’d given up on 3 button SBs a few years ago??

Tag reads FA08, so I’m assuming that’s Fall 2008. I got it NWT a couple years ago from eBay and live it- it’s thick but only partially lined, so it’s warm, but not overly warm (it’s not like wearing a fully lined Harris Tweed, but not necessarily a lightweight tweed). One of my favorite jackets, actually.

Yesterday, also an older J Crew piece:
C11C427B-2E96-4F5F-89AF-9D3AD516226A.jpeg
3F50F8B4-8C60-4B94-9267-9C1494DF20A7.jpeg

Pocket square was pushed back in after I noticed it was flying away in the picture

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tag reads FA08, so I’m assuming that’s Fall 2008. I got it NWT a couple years ago from eBay and live it- it’s thick but only partially lined, so it’s warm, but not overly warm (it’s not like wearing a fully lined Harris Tweed, but not necessarily a lightweight tweed). One of my favorite jackets, actually.

Yesterday, also an older J Crew piece:
View attachment 1065968 View attachment 1065969

Pocket square was pushed back in after I noticed it was flying away in the picture
Then I’m not the only guy on SF who still loves his old J. Crew blazers. Comforting.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then I’m not the only guy on SF who still loves his old J. Crew blazers. Comforting.

The old stuff is great imho, the new stuff is very hit and miss with me.

I can’t hate current J Crew too much though- they’re the reason I got a pair of shell Alden LWBs for over half off last year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads