• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coat with Jeans

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score

I wear denim with sport coats on weekends. I would never wear a blazer with denim, ever. Some do it but to me it looks ridiculous and there is no need to do this.

:lol:

To most, a blazer and a sport coat are the same thing, not just that a blazer must be navy blue with brass buttons. That would look gross.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't stand seeing people wear sport coats with jeans.

Agreed. This guy, for instance, looks like shite.

Leaning-39.jpg

Leaning-14.jpg

And will someone please cue the Bat Signal for NOBD?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That second pic is my favorite, it's nice to see it done right!

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I wear a SC and jeans to work nearly everyday. As someone who works in the creative industry a jacket and trousers would draw questions like, "Why are you wearing a suit?" :facepalm:

To me it is far more important to get the cut of the jeans correct. I always wear trouser length/cut raw denim from RRL and pair it with loafers or dub monks. I fear too often people try to dress denim up too much (with ties or oxfords, etc). It seems many people I see out think jeans are the same thing as trousers. This is a grave mistake. The key to pulling of a SC and jeans, IMO, is to remember you're one step above casual rather than one step below a suit.

In terms of my go-to this fall I have an Isaia barleycorn SC, a Belvest charcoal SC and a Cucinelli navy SC (no brass buttons, no worries) that will be my regular workhorses. Otherwise it will be some flavor of a FU jacket like guncheck or glenn plaid. All go great with dark, raw, tailored denim.

likeaboss

Reaction score
For the noobs around here (me), pictures would greatly help to demonstrate your points. :D

ddonicht

Reaction score

This is me on a cruise a couple of years ago. I like the combination of the jacket with the jeans.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

For the noobs around here (me), pictures would greatly help to demonstrate your points. :D

****** pic but this is all I have at the moment. I'll see if I have something better when I get home.

a6890d35-893d-b114.jpg

This is me on a cruise a couple of years ago. I like the combination of the jacket with the jeans.

I don't dig washed jeans with a SC unless they are a light wash in S/S. Also, I think you might want to look into some v neck undershirts.

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In terms of my go-to this fall I have an Isaia barleycorn SC, a Belvest charcoal SC and a Cucinelli navy SC (no brass buttons, no worries) that will be my regular workhorses. Otherwise it will be some flavor of a FU jacket like guncheck or glenn plaid. All go great with dark, raw, tailored denim.

Maybe I will struggle since I don't do expensive jeans (honestly, cheap wrangler or cheap levi jeans fit me best) but they are all dark. I have several OCBD's that I Iike with jeans, and I always do flannel wool or linen/wool blends. I think SC fit is crucial to making it look good, soft shoulders look a lot better than strong shoulders IMO.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I think SC fit is crucial to making it look good, soft shoulders look a lot better than strong shoulders IMO.

Agreed. All my SCs are soft/natural shoulder as I have wide enough shoulders I don't need much. I do have one structured shoulder SC in glenn plaid that I will wear with jeans once in a blue moon. However I think a more relaxed fit to the jacket is key to pulling off jeans.

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score

Maybe I will struggle since I don't do expensive jeans (honestly, cheap wrangler or cheap levi jeans fit me best) but they are all dark. I have several OCBD's that I Iike with jeans, and I always do flannel wool or linen/wool blends. I think SC fit is crucial to making it look good, soft shoulders look a lot better than strong shoulders IMO.

I only wear Levis 501s and, IMO, a dark pair looks great with a SC.

ddonicht - I agree with bourbonbasted that you should look at v neck t shirts.

williamson

Reaction score

Does anyone else think it's a half ass attempt at looking "dressed up?" I can't stand seeing people wear sport coats with jeans.

Neither can I!
My working dress, as a teacher over 36 years, was a sports jacket, always with a tie and never with jeans. I have never owned jeans and never shall, and find the current fashion of sports jacket, open-necked shirt and jeans utterly detestable!

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but jeans are a pretty common item, and yes you can wear a sport coat with them. I'm guessing some of you just almost never wear jeans...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Oy.... Lose the crew neck t-shirt underneath, if the SC weren't black and solid I'd sugggest shortening the sleeves at the least but as is it's not really ideal, and the jeans are very casual and the wrong shade so it's mid-contrast instead of high or low, plus dark colors on top and light colors on bottom make you look top 'heavy'.
Welcome to the forum...

ahem...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics