Sport Coat with Jeans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Superfluous, Sep 28, 2011.

1. MadAboutPlaid

MadAboutPlaid Senior member

I'm all for looking nice (obviously, or I wouldn't be on this forum) but no one should wear a SC to a baseball game.

2. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Personally I think that both blazers and SC don't look right with jeans.

3. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

I saw a man (in his 30s I'd guess) walking across the street today in a sportcoat, button-up shirt, slim dark jeans, and leather shoes I couldn't make out against the pavement -- and he looked great. Talk about rules all you like, when someone's out and about, either they look good or they don't. If they look good, it doesn't matter what rules they're breaking. (Though of course rules are always only there for those who don't know well enough to bend or break them properly.)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

4. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior member

NOBD is the true master of this look.

5. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

A few reasons I prefer this to a standard 3b (no issue w/1b or 3 roll 2, just less common):

1. A 3b should be a little longer than a sport coat worn with jeans, otherwise the buttons look too close together

2. I think a 3b should be buttoned in general, which doesn't work that well with the jeans look and also calls for a tie

3. 3b is a bit dated and may have that "I'm casualizing my old dress clothes" look

4. In general, I've always preferred 3b as a matching suit, but this is just a matter of opinion/taste

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

"A half ass attempt at looking 'dressed up'!" Well said! I couldn't agree more. I note my stepson wore a DB blazer with jeans to my wedding with his mother. By way of mitigation, he was nine years old at the time.

Jeans have their place--if you are a cowboy, a rodeo man, a plumber, working on a roofing crew, doing construction or something similar. They have no place if one is trying to turn himself out halfway decently.

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Well, here's a chance to toss this old pic back on top of the pile again. I just hope Spoo doesn't trump mine with his effort from Friday.

[​IMG]

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have been wearing a blazer, tweed jacket or other sport coat with jeans since the late 60's. Growing up outside of NYC in a very preppy village my friends older brothers came home from Ivy League schools on vacation with jeans and corduroy, blazers or tweed jackets. The look was rather subversive and we quickly adopted it to wear to dances in Jr High and High School where a jacket and tie were required. Later in the 70's running into Andy Warhol even he was wearing OCBD's, Levis and a blue blazer with a rep tie. Of course Ralph Lauren picked it up (as with all preppy things he adopted) and he became a new leader in wearing jeans, a jacket and often a tie.

I attended the SF meetup in San Francisco the other night with LVC jeans, suede bucks, a white shirt. PS and blue jacket. It is a similar look that I wear most days.

My wife and I just returned from dinner. There were a bunch of guys wearing awful fitting jeans and jackets, sitting nearby, and they looked like crap. Really funky. But I see a lot of guys on WAYWRN looking smart and well put together with a mix of a jacket and jeans. I think it is how you wear it.

9. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

Sorry, repeat of preev poast.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Who, me?

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Dammit!
    [​IMG]

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

depends on your social class and place of living.

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

It does seem natural that someone (Achilles) who is historically known for susceptibility to heel issues would favor a shoe that offers protection from injury to that part of the body, doesn't it?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

14. DrHouse

DrHouse Active Member

Why not? OK well I guess it's hot in Summer when baseball is played but what about football or the race track? A sportcoat is "sportswear" and is just a jacket to keep you warm when it's cool outside.

15. DrHouse

DrHouse Active Member

This is very funny because I had almost the same history but began this sportcoat and jeans a few years earlier than you. I thought that I had invented the trend but I guess that college guys a couple of years older were doing it (?) Not sure in '66. Anyway a friend of mine was into art and we went to Warhol's factory to buy some woodcuts. I thought that Andy had copied the idea from me because years later I remember that he was almost always dressed this way even at 54 (usually with a tie) lol