• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coat with Jeans

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else think it's a half ass attempt at looking "dressed up?" I can't stand seeing people wear sport coats with jeans.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
depends. there are some looks that can work for a casual outing......just as long as the person isn't trying to be "dressed!"

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope.

Nothing wrong with sports coats with jeans. Cottons and linens work especially well. And the cut of the jeans and the jacket itself also has something to do with it.

What would look wrong is when people wear an obvious orphaned worsted business suit jacket with jeans.

glenjay

Reaction score
I wear a sport coat with jeans quite frequently (although not usually in the Summer time). This is typically what I wear when walking the dog.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope.

Nothing wrong with sports coats with jeans. Cottons and linens work especially well. And the cut of the jeans and the jacket itself also has something to do with it.

What would look wrong is when people wear an obvious orphaned worsted business suit jacket with jeans.

+1

bwp

Reaction score
Looks great IMO, slim jeans with a well fitting SC are my winter casual uniform.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score

Does anyone else think it's a half ass attempt at looking "dressed up?" I can't stand seeing people wear sport coats with jeans.

It's absolutely awful, standing in stark contrast to wearing a blazer with denim, which is quite a good look.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear denim with sport coats on weekends. I would never wear a blazer with denim, ever. Some do it but to me it looks ridiculous and there is no need to do this.

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
besides that it's got to be the right sort of styled denim, I think the trickier part is actually more about the SC in question to make sure it isn't a borrowed / orphaned suit jacket, which would look terrible I agree.

Chillax

Reaction score
The more casual or country style SCs look great with the right jeans
Navy blue blazers also look good with denim colors other than blue

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]besides that it's got to be the right sort of styled denim[/COLOR], I think the trickier part is actually more about the SC in question to make sure it isn't a borrowed / orphaned suit jacket, which would look terrible I agree.

Excellent point MC.
The world of denim is something I personally need to do homework on.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MC, post some pics of this done well. I am of the camp that this look is nearly impossible to do well.

glenjay

Reaction score

I wear denim with sport coats on weekends. I would never wear a blazer with denim, ever. Some do it but to me it looks ridiculous and there is no need to do this.

I completely agree with Man Of Lint on this. I simply see no reason to wear a blazer with jeans.

I have a good collection of sport coats that include cashmere, camel hair, wool, silk and linen fabrics in various patterns of glen plaid, herringbone, houndstooth, basketweave and solid. I also own a solid navy blue blazer with gold tone metal buttons, and a solid black blazer with silver tone metal buttons.

I wear most of the sport coats just as I would a jacket, with jeans, chinos or slacks. I rarely wear a tie with a sport coat unless I am going to a business related social event and I don’t want to wear a suit.

About the only times I have worn my blazers is at trade conferences in a sales booth. I can bring grey slacks and wear either blazer.

To me the proper use of a blazer is when you still want to look like a business professional without being too casual or too dressed up.

The evolution of the sport coat implies that it is a piece of casual attire. The history of the blazer gives it a more formal heritage. In order of formality I would put most sport coats below a blazer, a blazer below a lounge suit (single or double breasted), then a lounge suit with a waist coat, then formal attire (tuxedo and so on…).

To me wearing a blazer with jeans would just seem inappropriate.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads