• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coat or Orphan Jacket?

BXpress

Reaction score
So a few days ago i got this MTM Sport Coat in Fresco, and i feel i have made a mistake by picking a fabric that is way too fine for a "daily use" Sport Coat (imo):

(Actually grey-blue, it's just the weird lighting in my hallway)
Shibumishantung.jpg

Here is a photo of a sample (in daylight):
frescosample.jpg

The inspiraton for it was this:
insfresco.jpg

when i saw this picture i thought this would be "rough" enough for a Sport Coat. Having had this example in mind, i chose the fabric and as we all well know sometimes it's hard to imagine the finished product when you just have that small sample. When i tried it on i asked my Tailor and he said: "no you can easily wear this with jeans", but I have already made up my mind about it in that i will regard it as a Sport Coat-Odd Jacket Hybrid and i will wear it with nothing less than a good chino. But i just like to hear what you guys think, is it an odd jacket or casual enough for a Sport Coat?

Last edited:

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the example pic you emulated, if not part of a suit, I picture there being contrasting fine wool/gabardine trousers beneath. However, jeans or chinos could be made to work, too. So really, you could get three different "looks" out of that one jacket, and yours. It's all in the artistry of the wearer. Good luck.

As it happens, this pic I just viewed on Pinterest appears to personify your tailor's assertion that jeans could work.

https://pin.it/ixy3wsde3freht

Last edited:

ahtynes

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't wear it with jeans, but to each their own. I'm sure people wear fresco for sport coats all the time. It looks like a great color in a great fabric. If you feel confident in it that's what's important.

BXpress

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't wear it with jeans, but to each their own. I'm sure people wear fresco for sport coats all the time. It looks like a great color in a great fabric. If you feel confident in it that's what's important.

Neither would i and i feel very confident in it, but judging by my personal sense for formality/informality, this jacket is not casual enough for everyday wear and i don't work in an office enviroment either. If i did work there, there would be no problem. Personally i think it's more of a situational jacket i.e. good restaurant, slightly more festive social event in summer etc.

BXpress

Reaction score
In the example pic you emulated, if not part of a suit, I picture there being contrasting fine wool/gabardine trousers beneath. However, jeans or chinos could be made to work, too. So really, you could get three different "looks" out of that one jacket, and yours. It's all in the artistry of the wearer. Good luck.

As it happens, this pic I just viewed on Pinterest appears to personify your tailor's assertion that jeans could work.

https://pin.it/ixy3wsde3freht

Despite my dislike for Sport Coat+Jeans, i gotta admit this looks kind of good.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you feel that it is not "sporty" enough to be a sport coat,
have matching pants made by the same tailor and you'll
have a nice fresco suit.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That first pic doesn't look sporty at all IMO.

minimal1

Reaction score
Looks like a suit jacket in the first pic, but then again, there is not much context other than a tie and square.

BXpress

Reaction score
have a nice fresco suit.

Yeah, it already crossed my mind.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have a nice fresco suit.
Even though I said otherwise, in the end, probably the best solution, and use of that jacket.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally would only wear that as part of a suit.

BXpress

Reaction score
Thank you all for your opinions. You basically confirmed what i suspected. Not sure if i will spend almost 400 Euros on the matching trousers just to rectify a mistake. I think i can wear it as an odd jacket with beige trousers during summer or finer chinos with crease lines.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads