1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sport coat for under $300?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thrashertm, Oct 5, 2011.

1. thrashertm

thrashertm New Member

I'm going to my business school class reunion and I need a new sport coat. I'd like to find something for under $300 (the lower the better), with good style and quality.

I looked at Nordstrom's website and found some coats that I like. Where can I pick up some coats that are in the same range for under $300?

1. http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/armani-collezioni-navy-wool-blazer/3064630?origin=category
    2. http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/versace-collection-black-stretch-wool-sportcoat/3206728?origin=category
    3. http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/john-va...-wool-blend-sportcoat/3173706?origin=category

Also, my dry cleaner does alterations, and I had her alter some of my suit pants. Should I also have her alter the sport coat for optimal fit?

Thanks!

2. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

3. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Well-Known Member

Sale rack in Brooks Brothers is worth checking... If you get lucky you may find just what you want for about $200. Don't think they'll discount blazers, but certainly spring/summer SCs.

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I don't know if you have SteinMart in your area, but check them out if you do.

I have purchased 2 Hart Shaffner Marx sport coats and 1 Ralph Lauren sport coat at my local SteinMart and the prices ranged from $30-$60. The 2 HSM were 100% wool and the Ralph Lauren was wool/silk. I check the red tag clearance racks and print off their 20% or 30% off coupon from their website.

The last one I bought was marked $395 (full retail). SteinMart priced at $159.99 - red tag clearance (50% off) at $80 - 30% additional off clearance - 20% off coupon = $44.80 plus tax.

Sizes and styles are limited, but you might find a deal.

Chris

5. thrashertm

thrashertm New Member

Thanks, I'll check out Steinmart. Do you think I'll need to have the sport coat worked on by a tailor for fit?

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

I have always been a little curious about Anderson Little being recommended here on MC, as most SFs here think polyester is the work of the devil.

7. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Me too, but I've heard many good reviews for users here... I wouldn't buy it, but that's because I can afford to purchase something better.

8. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

9. thrashertm

thrashertm New Member

1. Yes, but I'm investing in my own company right now and it's not the best time to blow $500+ on a proper sport coat if I can achieve a good look at a lower price.
    2. I look forward to your recommendations at a higher price point.

10. scott anderson

scott anderson Well-Known Member

I think I can speak from personal experience on this subject.

I am a business school graduate, the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania to be precise, and so is my Dad.

I wear my Blazer to University functions both here in Los Angeles where I live and in Philadelphia when I visit. Generally, I have looked far better dressed than many of my classmates regardless of their so called level of (monetary) success. I am the Anderson-Little heir and a Wharton Graduate raised in Nantucket. I assure you, I can afford to wear anything I want. I choose to wear my Blazer. I receive compliments on it all the time from people who have no idea I make it.

Why? Because a navy blazer is a classic and a classic is always in style. My Classic Blue Blazer is my favorite thing to wear.

Further, if you have to travel to your reunion then most garments will be a wrinkled mess by the time you arrive. My Blazer will not.

And for those of you who cringe at the thought of polyester, then I guess you never wear basketball shorts or underarmor sports gear or fleece? My jacket is lighter, lasts longer, breathes better and costs less than an all wool garment because I know what I am doing guys. I tested fabrics for a year in side by side comparisons and this fabric was consistently selected by customers over "tropical" wool.

That's why it gets recommended here by some of the most discerning clothing shoppers around. They know a great product when they see one.

And one last thought, I think your business school friends will be more impressed by your acumen at finding something that represents a solid value than something trendy and flashy and overpriced. And when they complain about how bad the economy is, you can tell them you're actually wearing something made here in America. It will be a great conversation piece.

Good luck with your new business.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  11. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

id snag a lightly used brioni or Isaia off of ebay or here for 300 or less. Neiman marcus last call is also good if you have one in your area, as well as nordstrom rack.

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

oh please. Like a more expensive sportcoat is going to make people think you've been successful. Not to mention 90% of the people probably wouldn't know a good sport coat from absolute trash.

13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

:rolleyes:

My god what a great self promoter you are.

Did you go to wharton? I'm not sure :rolleyes:

Can you really afford to wear anything you want? Wow, I'm super impressed :rolleyes:

As for your fabric tests, all I can do is laugh.

There is a way to promote your company, and this is for sure not it.

14. spitfirees20

spitfirees20 Senior member

:lurk:

15. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

For an inexpensive blazer that you don't havfe to worry about, I don't mind a bit of polyester. I own a Uniqlo blazer and have worn it very frequently. It fits great but it has a tiny bit of polyester in it. I don't really care. It is time for me to retire it, but it brought many years of great service. Come on, look at the price he's selling the blazer.

16. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

Where is he going to get a good blazer for under $300, given the short notice, hence a likely lack of time to look around.

To the OP: I suggest a navy blazer from Brooks Brothers, Polo, or Hickey Freeman (available at Nordstrom, Dillards, and several other places). You can get one for $5-700 that will be very good and will last quite awhile. And a navy blazer is really the first sportcoat you need and it will be the one you use the most.

17. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I don't really care one way or another about the product he is selling. Its the way he comes off. This, "well I'm totally loaded and i went to Wharton so I know what i'm doing" stuff is ridiculous and not the correct way to promote your product. For one, a know plenty of people that went to wharton that both can barely dress themselves and wouldn't know quality clothing if it slapped them in the face. Also, in my school's numerous rivalries with Wharton, I've found that there are also plenty of wealthy people and Wharton graduates that couldn't run a business properly if their lives depended on it.

in my view, the correct way to promote the product is this:

Hi,
    I'm the president of blah blah blah, and we may offer a product that meets your needs. Please see the attached link, which has details about the product. If you have any additional questions, please let me know at jimbob@blah blah blah.com. We feel that our product, while not Brioni or Kiton, offers great value with nice fabrics, a nice cut, and excellent assembly quality for the price. Give us a look, you won't be disappointed.

simple.

Well, I guess that depends on what you consider decent. Some people wouldn't let anything but Kiton slip over their shoulders, and others are ok with mainline Joseph Abboud.

You can easily find hugo boss or other similar brand blazers/sport coats at the $300 price point at the neiman or nordstrom outlets

1 person likes this.
  18. spitfirees20

spitfirees20 Senior member

Brooks Brothers Blazer, $550.

A blazer is an extremely versatile piece of clothing. It's a staple for any man's wardrobe, and you're going to get a lot of use out of it. I'm not saying you should buy this particular blazer, but it's worth it to spend a little bit more and get something that will last you a long time (and look good while doing it), as opposed to wasting more money buying a better blazer down the line.

19. Booter

Booter Senior member

If one were to go the BB route the Corporate Discount (normally 15%) is 25% this weekend (reg price merch only). I'm sure someone would proxy for you if you PayPal them.