• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sport coat critque

intfxdx

Reaction score
hi every one, again me. i already asked question in another thread, i am trying to determine right size for me . the following is a ck sport coat 38r with drop 7, fits slim, it's like RLBL. Attachment 59582 Attachment 59583 Attachment 59584 the following is a PRL suit drop 6, fits normal, Attachment 59585 Attachment 59586 a significant number of members told that this one is large, so what do you think about fit of the first one ? do you think it's better than second one ? Thanks for advices. edit : sleeves are long because they haven't been tailored yet.

intfxdx

Reaction score
i can't wear smaller than the first one
biggrin.gif
i have 38.3 inches chest and the first one is approx 39.3" if smaller than first one, it's going to be too tight to wear for me.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intfxdx
i can't wear smaller than the first one
biggrin.gif
i have 38.3 inches chest and the first one is approx 39.3" if smaller than first one, it's going to be too tight to wear for me.

First one is definitely better than the second one, but the shoulders still look too big. I know this only because half of every SC or suit I own fits like this, and I get hammered for it on WAYWRN.
boxing[1].gif

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
My vote is the first one, although the button placement seems a bit high for your build and the length is borderline too short. But it looks like you're pulling it off, so wear it with confidence, have the sleeves adjusted, and you'll look great!

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
First one is definitely better than the second one, but the shoulders still look too big. I know this only because half of every SC or suit I own fits like this, and I get hammered for it on WAYWRN.
boxing[1].gif

I disagree. I don't see the shoulders as being too big on that suit.

What makes you say they are?

However, I don't like the front of it. One of my pet peeves is when the lower portion of the suit stays open that way...as in you can see the belt and shirt perfectly while not in motion. Not sure how to explain it or call that.

P.S. I'm no authority on suit fitting

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RangerP
I disagree. I don't see the shoulders as being too big on that suit.

What makes you say they are?

However, I don't like the front of it. One of my pet peeves is when the lower portion of the suit stays open that way...as in you can see the belt and shirt perfectly while not in motion. Not sure how to explain it or call that.

It's not bad, just a tiny bit big to my eye. I could be wrong, as I am clearly no expert either. Perhaps, as you mention, it is the button stance throwing things off.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score

Term you are looking for is open quarters.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fit of the second suit in light grey is the better fit. You'll easily pass on the street.
I would suggest a tie that is a touch more cheerful (brighter colours) to contrast the blue shirt you're wearing.
Other than that, you are good to go...wait...what shoes are you going to wear with this suit?

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
The fit of the second suit in light grey is the better fit. You'll easily pass on the street.
I would suggest a tie that is a touch more cheerful (brighter colours) to contrast the blue shirt you're wearing.
Other than that, you are good to go...wait...what shoes are you going to wear with this suit?

Come on now, why would you say that. The button stance on the first is way too high, so the OP shouldn't keep that one, but the fit is much better. The open quarters are mainly a result of the button stance.

Second suit is way too sloppy in the back, especially in the shoulder blades.

To the OP, keep in mind sleeve width and armholes. Both of them seem too baggy in the arms for you, especially the forearms. Go on a rigorous fapping regimen to build them up or get the sleeves tapered.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Thanks!

....do you agree ?

In this case yes. +1 to banananananana (or however) in that these open quarters are a result of an unfortunate button stance.

However, on sport coats and blazers, I quite like open quarters. It makes me feel 'sporty.'

intfxdx

Reaction score
thanks guys. now i am more sure about sizing, it's hard to determine it. for the first sc, the button stance is effectively somewhat high, but also keep in mind that the pants have very high rise. i think i will invest soon in a rlbl suit, as the first has similar sizing and it seems to fit better. thanks again.

fence28

Reaction score
There's open quarters and then there's open quarters. #1 high button stance and open quarters doesn't look pleasant to me. It shouldn't show the belt. #2 is better.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#2 looks a lot better,I don't know if it is actually too big for you. Doesn't seem very big although there is a lot of bunching in the back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads