• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

sport coat critque

intfxdx

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
356
Reaction score
1
hi every one, again me. i already asked question in another thread, i am trying to determine right size for me . the following is a ck sport coat 38r with drop 7, fits slim, it's like RLBL. Attachment 59582 Attachment 59583 Attachment 59584 the following is a PRL suit drop 6, fits normal, Attachment 59585 Attachment 59586 a significant number of members told that this one is large, so what do you think about fit of the first one ? do you think it's better than second one ? Thanks for advices. edit : sleeves are long because they haven't been tailored yet.




 

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
2,179
Reaction score
2,207
Originally Posted by intfxdx
i can't wear smaller than the first one
i have 38.3 inches chest and the first one is approx 39.3" if smaller than first one, it's going to be too tight to wear for me.


First one is definitely better than the second one, but the shoulders still look too big. I know this only because half of every SC or suit I own fits like this, and I get hammered for it on WAYWRN.
 

Antonio Centeno

Senior Member
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
321
Reaction score
2
My vote is the first one, although the button placement seems a bit high for your build and the length is borderline too short. But it looks like you're pulling it off, so wear it with confidence, have the sleeves adjusted, and you'll look great!
 

RangerP

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by acridsheep
First one is definitely better than the second one, but the shoulders still look too big. I know this only because half of every SC or suit I own fits like this, and I get hammered for it on WAYWRN.


I disagree. I don't see the shoulders as being too big on that suit.

What makes you say they are?

However, I don't like the front of it. One of my pet peeves is when the lower portion of the suit stays open that way...as in you can see the belt and shirt perfectly while not in motion. Not sure how to explain it or call that.

P.S. I'm no authority on suit fitting
 

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
2,179
Reaction score
2,207
Originally Posted by RangerP
I disagree. I don't see the shoulders as being too big on that suit.

What makes you say they are?

However, I don't like the front of it. One of my pet peeves is when the lower portion of the suit stays open that way...as in you can see the belt and shirt perfectly while not in motion. Not sure how to explain it or call that.

P.S. I'm no authority on suit fitting


It's not bad, just a tiny bit big to my eye. I could be wrong, as I am clearly no expert either. Perhaps, as you mention, it is the button stance throwing things off.
 

BlueHorseShoe

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2008
Messages
523
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by RangerP
However, I don't like the front of it. One of my pet peeves is when the lower portion of the suit stays open that way...as in you can see the belt and shirt perfectly while not in motion. Not sure how to explain it or call that.

P.S. I'm no authority on suit fitting


Term you are looking for is open quarters.
 

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
6,514
Reaction score
512
The fit of the second suit in light grey is the better fit. You'll easily pass on the street.
I would suggest a tie that is a touch more cheerful (brighter colours) to contrast the blue shirt you're wearing.
Other than that, you are good to go...wait...what shoes are you going to wear with this suit?
 

bananananana

In Time Out
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
664
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
The fit of the second suit in light grey is the better fit. You'll easily pass on the street.
I would suggest a tie that is a touch more cheerful (brighter colours) to contrast the blue shirt you're wearing.
Other than that, you are good to go...wait...what shoes are you going to wear with this suit?


Come on now, why would you say that. The button stance on the first is way too high, so the OP shouldn't keep that one, but the fit is much better. The open quarters are mainly a result of the button stance.

Second suit is way too sloppy in the back, especially in the shoulder blades.

To the OP, keep in mind sleeve width and armholes. Both of them seem too baggy in the arms for you, especially the forearms. Go on a rigorous fapping regimen to build them up or get the sleeves tapered.
 

BlueHorseShoe

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2008
Messages
523
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by RangerP
Thanks!

....do you agree ?


In this case yes. +1 to banananananana (or however) in that these open quarters are a result of an unfortunate button stance.

However, on sport coats and blazers, I quite like open quarters. It makes me feel 'sporty.'
 

intfxdx

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
356
Reaction score
1
thanks guys. now i am more sure about sizing, it's hard to determine it. for the first sc, the button stance is effectively somewhat high, but also keep in mind that the pants have very high rise. i think i will invest soon in a rlbl suit, as the first has similar sizing and it seems to fit better. thanks again.
 

fence28

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
165
Reaction score
1
There's open quarters and then there's open quarters. #1 high button stance and open quarters doesn't look pleasant to me. It shouldn't show the belt. #2 is better.
 

forex

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
6,639
Reaction score
209
#2 looks a lot better,I don't know if it is actually too big for you. Doesn't seem very big although there is a lot of bunching in the back.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 8 12.7%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 22 34.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 16 25.4%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 2 3.2%

Related Threads

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
427,284
Messages
9,196,143
Members
193,137
Latest member
Jaceves1

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top