• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport coat and Denim

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not wear that sport coat. Polyester is not a good material for a coat.

In terms of style, the outfit you have there sounds fine.

raymanz

Reaction score
Thanks. It's for my cousin, I personally don't like the color but he already purchased the coat. It's supposed to be a suede look alike instead it feels like hair.

ass_kicker32

Reaction score
I would wear a coffin, because i would have shot myself if I wore that.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If it's for your "cousin" than why are you telling us what you have and what you want to look like with it on?

raymanz

Reaction score
If you are not going to assist "Banana" why even put a post. Go watch American idol or lotion your feet. Ever heard of someone using my logon name or my computer? Guess that your lack of "common sense" would allow for such a irrelevant question. But all in all I appreciate your imperceptive attitude/personality.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear it with a noose around my neck......

and the other end tied to a ceiling rafter.

Gutman

Reaction score
Yes, but not that sports coat.

Colour ok, but for denim you need: shorter length (but just enough to cover your butt) and more open quarters (the front part of the jacket below the lowest button). those are way too closed - you should be able to see your belt with the top button done up. the jacket in your pic has an ok lapel and good button stance, but you'll want a fairly slim fit jacket unless you're going for some sort of vagrant look... since you won't usually be buttoning it up, you can possibly size-down a bit. don't get a 3 button unless it rolls to 2.

Anyway, main thing to avoid with sports coat / denim combo is looking middle-of-the-road. Either go heavy-tweedy or something GQ-ish, but don't mess with the old-man territory like you see on the "other" forum.

Gutman

Reaction score
oh just saw that your cousin already bought it. i hope he's tall, otherwise he should bin it

Kris

Reaction score
I know I'm in the wrong corner of the internet when I'm reading that someone's cousin used their login and wrote something that they need to clarify was written by their cousin and not them.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ass_kicker32
I would wear a coffin, because i would have shot myself if I wore that.
Seriously one of the funniest things I've read in a while, bravo
laugh.gif
alright, here's some ideas, this isn't too common around here and frankly these guys probably do it better then your cousin ever will... hope this helps a bit.
beigejacketredtiegreypa.jpg
beigesportscoatredpants.jpg
camelhairbrownsportscoa.jpg
beigesportscoatpinkshir.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A khaki jacket is very practical, but I would return it and get one in a twill and not fake suede. You will be happier with the results.

What to wear it with? Jeans and a blue shirt or white shirt when you have a little bit of a sun tan.

^^^Is that Foo with the gangsta pose???^^^

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
beigejacketredtiegreypa.jpg

That's a great outfit. Khaki/beige/tan with denim is the safe bet but really like how he pulled it off here with grey pants. Plus the grey pants and brown shoes. Daring all around. Maybe not SF daring, but for the avg schmoe would prob not think to pair all these things together and it comes off very sharp IMO. Khaki blazer with light blue shirt could also look really drab and louchey. I think a blue gingham shirt and red tie would also be snazzy and more daring than plain blue or white shirt. Most importantly, make sure it fits. Most of it will be not what you're wearing but how you're wearing it. Left bad, right better
P12184321.jpg
vs.
00005f.jpg
My fear is the Nautica jacket because of the way its cut will undoubtedly end up looking like the below left instead of the one on the right.
MENS_BEIGE.jpg
vs.
stp80729modde2.jpg

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Seriously one of the funniest things I've read in a while, bravo
laugh.gif

camelhairbrownsportscoa.jpg

That's an amazing foo shot.

Never though he'd wear a sportcoat with crazy lapels like that and a scarf, and the slightly shorter length. Anyway, it looks really good on him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads