• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
I was there today! I'm ordering a trial shirt, and we had an in depth conversation about whether he'll do CMT for shirts. He's game for it, if he can make the cost structure work. Shipping and customs are the biggest obstacles, of course. It works out to about $70-75 a shirt to do CMT with PL (including shipping fabric to HK), so if Spoon is reasonably close to that and slightly better quality then it's a great deal.

What is CMT?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Went by Spoon yesterday for a fitting on my trial shirt. They didn't nail the shoulders, and Andrew was kicking himself for not taking a photo. He's sending the shirt back to HK for alterations, as the local tailor only works on suits. He promised a 2 week turnaround.

My first impression was quite positive. The measurements were pretty dead close to what he'd marked down, and for the most part I liked the fit. The chest was comfortable without too much excess, the sleeves weren't too full, but the armhole could be a bit higher. Quality of workmanship is good - better than my Lee Baron shirts, with finished seams throughout, no loose threads and all stitching looking very straight and orderly. The MOP buttons are of a high grade, thick and very iridescent.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome imatlas, please post pix when the shirt arrives. Cant wait to see results.

mistwrtr

Reaction score
Logged in today to look for SF based MTM. THANK YOU!! Going to schedule an appointment and try out a suit.

New to the forum/ clothing world SF based and glad to see a good local option.

Cheers

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otheme
Haven't seen them yet. Still waiting for my 3rd fitting to try on the final product. Pants sould be relatively low-tech. I specified down to the centimeters -- cuff width 20cm, knee width 25cm, natural waist, 2-inch cuff with minimum break.

As to the prices, I took the lowest grade 799 option. First suit, don't want to get an expensive fabric. I figured once my pattern has converged I'd go for a more expensive fabric. In fact I've already decided to order a 2nd suit with my own fabric. Even at 799 with my own fabric it's still worth it. The ability to see how everything looks on a basted shell and talk directly to the cutter is very valuable to me. My second suit would be a wide high-notch peak lapel, DB 6 on 2.

Very interested to see how your suit turns out as I just got a promotion at work (*awkward fist bump*) and am ready to spend roughly that much. OTR doesn't work all that well for me given my smaller stature so if I can go bespoke for 8 bills that seems like a great deal.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am very pleased with the two shirts I ordered. I'll post a non-useless photo when my gf is around to hold the camera.

HenryFlower

Reaction score
Very nice MOP and sewing looks good. Is this the trial shirt you mentioned earlier in the thread?

erable

Reaction score
Agreed, that MOP looks great. Quite timely too as I'll be in SF in the fall ... will definitely swing by to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some fit pix. The buttons are plastic. I looked at the MOP they offer (same price) and didn't care them them, they were thin. The plastics look good to me and say SPOON on them. Aside from the pattern matching on the back I think it came out well. This shirt was with their base fabric (I don't remember the maker) and cost came to $95/ea after tax. My next order will be with Thomas Mason fabric which runs $150/ea. I requested a slim fit. Please share any comments or suggestions so I can implement on my next order. Thanks.

Gong Tao

Reaction score
They do have some thicker shell buttons -trocas I believe- in addition to the thin MOP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads