• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any reason you didn't want cuffs on your pants?

Praneeth22

Reaction score

any reason you didn't want cuffs on your pants?

Because of the flat front of the pants and the no break / clean look I was going for, I opted for no cuff. I've heard mixed things about mixing flat front modern look with cuffs. What do you think?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because of the flat front of the pants and the no break / clean look I was going for, I opted for no cuff. I've heard mixed things about mixing flat front modern look with cuffs. What do you think?

I cuff all my pants. I 'm not a big fan of flat front though.

namdaemun

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for MTM shirts from Spoon. Can someone give me an evaluation on pricing, the process, turn around time, and etc please?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up the shortened pants, so this is the full suit from Spoon Tailor in SF. Jacket still needs some work I think and the pants unless I pull up from the back wrinkles as seen in some of the pictures. Waist pulled up a bit from behind:
Back of jacket remains a disaster

Markboots

Reaction score
Decided to give Spoon a try for a dress shirt. I just can't get RTW to fit the way I want. Was in Saturday in the hopes I would run into a Styleforum member or two. Instead there was no one there (close to 11am) which was great for quick service. Eventually a non SF member (lurker status only) came in. Will post pics when the shirt is finished.

Regards,
Mark

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Decided to give Spoon a try for a dress shirt.  I just can't get RTW to fit the way I want.  Was in Saturday in the hopes I would run into a Styleforum member or two.  Instead there was no one there (close to 11am) which was great for quick service.  Eventually a non SF member (lurker status only) came in.  Will post pics when the shirt is finished.

Regards,
Mark

I have probably 14 shirts from them at this point. The QC on some of the measurements went wonky for a couple of them but I've been happy on the whole. Have a couple pairs of trousers too.

Good luck on your shirts!

Markboots

Reaction score
I have probably 14 shirts from them at this point. The QC on some of the measurements went wonky for a couple of them but I've been happy on the whole. Have a couple pairs of trousers too.

Good luck on your shirts!
Thanks. You must like them since you have around 14. I want to start with one and see how good I can get the fit and then do another 9. Hopefully won't have any QC issues. Definitely looking forward to the end result!

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks.  You must like them since you have around 14.  I want to start with one and see how good I can get the fit and then do another 9.  Hopefully won't have any QC issues.  Definitely looking forward to the end result!

Yeah, I probably did a couple every couple of months to reach that point. Definitely would recommend pacing yourself! The fit is one thing, but you'll also probably end up working on some different collar expressions (height, point length, spread, etc.) and that takes time and potentially a couple misses. Such as life when you need MTM :)

smilence

Reaction score
I went to the tailor today, picked loro piana Wish 170s, since they have better deal than other fabrics. it's a medium solid navy, with subtle stripe texture.

one button, slim notch lapel suit. they said it's almost unlimited fitting.spoon tailor seems to know this very well, the tailor pointed out the issue of my current blazer with one look.

hope the new suit would stand out with the fabric and fit.

smilence

Reaction score
Picked up my suit with 170s loro piana, very satisfied with the fit, it seems they did it right in one shot! (the first two fittings are both based on unfinished garment)

ultramantaro

Reaction score
Picked up my suit with 170s loro piana, very satisfied with the fit, it seems they did it right in one shot! (the first two fittings are both based on unfinished garment)

Can't see all the details, but from this pic the fit seems pretty good, though you may want to wear a shirt with a slightly longer sleeve or have the tailor shorten your sleeves by another 1/2 in or so.

ultramantaro

Reaction score
Does anyone if Spoon stocks fabrics from Fintex or Holland and Sherry? Thx.

flvinny521

Reaction score
Anybody still use this tailor? Any more recent comments? My in-laws live in San Fran and it might be nice to stop in on our next trip.

GPeezy11

Reaction score
I've been lurking styleforum for awhile, but decided to register to post some kudos for Spoon Tailor, as I recently picked up my second custom suit.

On the service front, these guys are pretty awesome. The operation is in-person and hands-on (I'm not sure they even have a functional website). My first suit took four visits over five weeks, consultation/measurements to pick-up. My own schedule limited me to weekend appointments, so the turnaround might've been quicker with workday visits.

I can't speak to their full selection of suppliers, but I spent a good 30 minutes sorting through fabric swatches each time. They also do custom dress shirts, but I have a good thing going with Proper Cloth and J.Hilburn right now.

Suit 1: two-piece navy blue Super 110s from Vitale Barberis Canonico. Two button, notch lapel, single vent, horn buttons.
$1,195 including tax.

Suit 2: two-piece dark gray glen check with overcheck from Reda. Two button, notch lapel, double vent, horn buttons.
$1,300 including tax.

Image attached w/ suit 1. Pardon the pose! Happy to answer any questions.

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 10.17.53 PM.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads