• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spoofed by Glen O'Brien

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plus they need to have more presence as physical objects. Like the glossy high-fashion magazines my friend keeps throwing at me, they're beautiful, thick books that you would want to have on your shelf. As opposed to something like "People", which would not lose anything in the transition to web-page.

I think there's also room for an archived "news-in-review" style magazine, with essays on current events by high-caliber writers and thinkers. About the size of a novella, comes out quarterly, with little cartoons by Art Spiegelman and Chris Ware in the margins.

White person fantasy dream periodical.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paper should die, anyway.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every season 10men is the best 17.99USD I spend. Loved the "Mental Slut" editorial in the last issue. Haven't picked up the new yet though I seen it in B&N the other day.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was this the issue with the soccer player on the front?

If so, I read the piece in it by O'Brien, but I didn't get the connection to any forum personas. It was surprisingly well written though, and enjoyable to read. I wonder if O'Brien has to dumb down his writing for GQ?

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
still can't find this issue anywhere near me.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You guys all realize that the magazine is on newstands, right? If I could pick it up in Moscow, ID, you can pick it up pretty much anywhere. Go to your local Barnes&Noble.

Jeez guys just go to your local Barnes&Noble.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude, glenn obrien is an old man . He writes for style guy, which is essentially a similar concept to SF, but with much less information and questions from much stupider people.
i.e.
My slim, fit, and rather well-endowed boyfriend loves wearing skinny jeans. They look great on him, but the problem is that he can’t seem to find the appropriate underwear to minimize his bulge. Briefs help, but it’s still noticeable. How can he wear tight jeans without bragging to the world about his manhood?
Is not the very point of skinny jeans package display? This is expected. We are roosters, not capons. Please observe the breeches worn between the Restoration and the Regency era. We know precisely how Napoleon was hung and on which side Brummell dressed, and there’s no shame in that. ’Tis said if you’ve got it, flaunt it—and for those with it, flaunting can be done with some discretion. Just avoid the Spinal Tap zucchini syndrome.
I'm going to the Caribbean next month, and I want to wear a sarong. Do I walk in a store and ask for one, or do I just grab a picnic blanket and wear that? And most important, do I go commando beneath it?
I'm writing this from Jamaica, where you don't see many sarongs; but you should be able to wear one anyplace you wear a bathing suit. It's the perfect cover-up for wet trunks, and it helps protect the leather in the Bentley. My favorite sarongs are antique batiks from Bali and Java. (Try eBay.) I also dig kikoys; these cotton wraps from Kenya come in great color combos. To wear one, fold it in half and pull the open side as far from you as possible, fold the panel of slack in front of you, and then simply roll the sarong down from the waist a few times until it's snug. You can go commando under a sarong, but you'd better have the folding part down pat.

What a ******* tard.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Was this the issue with the soccer player on the front?

If so, I read the piece in it by O'Brien, but I didn't get the connection to any forum personas. It was surprisingly well written though, and enjoyable to read. I wonder if O'Brien has to dumb down his writing for GQ?

He wrote at least two pieces in that one (and yes, I think that was the issue.) The one that refers to SF (by name) is purportedly email correspondance between him and his friend, whose name eludes me right now. (Argh.)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
dude, glenn obrien is an old man . He writes for style guy, which is essentially a similar concept to SF, but with much less information and questions from much stupider people.
i.e.

What a ******* tard.

Seriously? Glenn O'Brien is one of he smartest, funniest guys in fashion, not to mention one of the most stylish. Dude can match Supreme with Borrelli (and I think, has).

Why is he a 'tard? Because he doesn't advocate "button down, slim jeans, CPs?" for all occasions? I'm glad that there are guys like Glenn O'Brien around who advise people to let their freak flag fly, rather than telling them to be as conservative and inconspicuous as possible.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh. when did i talk about button slim jeans and cps? I just feel like he is a hypocrite for critizing sf while he himself does nearly the same thing for gq.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Seriously? Glenn O'Brien is one of he smartest, funniest guys in New York

ftfy. glenn o'brien's tv party was so amazing and i am so mad i wasn't alive and in new york to see him own public access television. glenn o'brien was an underground king amongst rockers, mods, punks, artists and a lot of people who went on to matter in modern day music.

i mean if you ran a show that featured blondie, klaus nomi, and basquiat as guests, that puts you up there in terms of being one of the coolest people ever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerFormula
Meh. when did i talk about button slim jeans and cps? I just feel like he is a hypocrite for critizing sf while he himself does nearly the same thing for gq.

dude, if you haven't noticed, sf is pretty much full of hypocrites.

what he does for conde nast is paltry in comparison to his entire body of work, especially when he wrote for interview. so he doles out succinct, snarky advice to people who probably shop at the mall, so what? gq's distribution is that broad where he has to appeal to a broader audience, that point was brought up earlier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads