Spoofed by Glen O'Brien

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Plus they need to have more presence as physical objects. Like the glossy high-fashion magazines my friend keeps throwing at me, they're beautiful, thick books that you would want to have on your shelf. As opposed to something like "People", which would not lose anything in the transition to web-page.

I think there's also room for an archived "news-in-review" style magazine, with essays on current events by high-caliber writers and thinkers. About the size of a novella, comes out quarterly, with little cartoons by Art Spiegelman and Chris Ware in the margins.

White person fantasy dream periodical.

2. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Paper should die, anyway.

3. Desi

Desi Senior member

Every season 10men is the best 17.99USD I spend. Loved the "Mental Slut" editorial in the last issue. Haven't picked up the new yet though I seen it in B&N the other day.

4. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

so... no scans of this ish yet?

5. robin

robin Senior member

Was this the issue with the soccer player on the front?

If so, I read the piece in it by O'Brien, but I didn't get the connection to any forum personas. It was surprisingly well written though, and enjoyable to read. I wonder if O'Brien has to dumb down his writing for GQ?

6. ctrlaltelite

still can't find this issue anywhere near me.

7. bows1

bows1 Senior member

You guys all realize that the magazine is on newstands, right? If I could pick it up in Moscow, ID, you can pick it up pretty much anywhere. Go to your local Barnes&Noble.

Jeez guys just go to your local Barnes&Noble.

8. theom-

theom- Senior member

dude, glenn obrien is an old man . He writes for style guy, which is essentially a similar concept to SF, but with much less information and questions from much stupider people.
    i.e.

What a fucking tard.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Was this the issue with the soccer player on the front?

If so, I read the piece in it by O'Brien, but I didn't get the connection to any forum personas. It was surprisingly well written though, and enjoyable to read. I wonder if O'Brien has to dumb down his writing for GQ?

He wrote at least two pieces in that one (and yes, I think that was the issue.) The one that refers to SF (by name) is purportedly email correspondance between him and his friend, whose name eludes me right now. (Argh.)

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

dude, glenn obrien is an old man . He writes for style guy, which is essentially a similar concept to SF, but with much less information and questions from much stupider people.
    i.e.

What a fucking tard.

Seriously? Glenn O'Brien is one of he smartest, funniest guys in fashion, not to mention one of the most stylish. Dude can match Supreme with Borrelli (and I think, has).

Why is he a 'tard? Because he doesn't advocate "button down, slim jeans, CPs?" for all occasions? I'm glad that there are guys like Glenn O'Brien around who advise people to let their freak flag fly, rather than telling them to be as conservative and inconspicuous as possible.

11. theom-

theom- Senior member

Meh. when did i talk about button slim jeans and cps? I just feel like he is a hypocrite for critizing sf while he himself does nearly the same thing for gq.

12. robin

robin Senior member

13. ctrlaltelite

Seriously? Glenn O'Brien is one of he smartest, funniest guys in New York

ftfy. glenn o'brien's tv party was so amazing and i am so mad i wasn't alive and in new york to see him own public access television. glenn o'brien was an underground king amongst rockers, mods, punks, artists and a lot of people who went on to matter in modern day music.

i mean if you ran a show that featured blondie, klaus nomi, and basquiat as guests, that puts you up there in terms of being one of the coolest people ever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

14. ctrlaltelite

Meh. when did i talk about button slim jeans and cps? I just feel like he is a hypocrite for critizing sf while he himself does nearly the same thing for gq.

dude, if you haven't noticed, sf is pretty much full of hypocrites.

what he does for conde nast is paltry in comparison to his entire body of work, especially when he wrote for interview. so he doles out succinct, snarky advice to people who probably shop at the mall, so what? gq's distribution is that broad where he has to appeal to a broader audience, that point was brought up earlier.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

A long time ago, I had a brief correspondence with him about Paul Bowles.