• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sponsoring Foreign Children. How Transparent, Reliable?

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered about this...

One can't help but feel a certain pang and depression when they see little children in third world countries starving, dying and crying on television - especially when one happens to be eating dinner at the time. And yet, I've never acted on this pang for want of knowing how and who to trust. Along with that pang comes a healthy dose of skepticism towards the "foundations" and "organizations" that purport to help, feed, clothe and educate these children.

So what exactly is the deal with these organizations, mainly Christian; those that advertise sponsoring a child on the television. Does anybody have any information on their agenda, their means, their transparency, their good will, or anything else that any ordinary citizen would want to know prior to trusting them with their money in aide of a complete stranger?

And if one happens to be less trustworthy than another, would anybody care to list some organizations that are more or less, so to speak, "genuine"?

If I knew these types of groups and organizations were bona fide - notwithstanding that they must obviously take a cut (how large?) of our money for themselves - I would feel more or less compelled to sponsor a child or two.

Thoughts? Experiences?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We sponsored a kid for several years. Letters (and pix) - no problem. By coincidence, a trip to the child's country presented the opportunity for a face-to-face meeting. Plenty of advance notice and we were told that it would not be a problem, what a great idea, etc.

I don't have to tell you how the story ends
frown.gif

This was w/ a reputable(?) organization (Save the Children?), so I'd do some diligence....

montyharding

Reaction score
I suppose it depends on the level you want to get involved in.

I sponsor a couple of kids displaced as a result of the Asian tsunami. I've paid for the education, supported basic living costs and also the occasional treat. The people I directly write to - both for the foundation and the schools - are pretty strict about accounting for the money and I get regular updates.

One kid is excelling, and has clinched a scholarship place to an exclusive school - and I'll continue to be his sponsor, although the costs will significantly increase. I've talked directly to the headmaster of the new school and he was pretty enthused that a sponsor was that interested. The other is unfortunately not doing so well due to family problems. It's a credit to the school to write about these problems and also to withhold the money from the father, while trying to bracket the funds around the kid. A friend of mine is a frequent visitor to the country and he's also helping to try and make the situation better. So it's a fairly personal interaction in my case, although I've never met the kids.

As far as African-based organisations are concerned - I dunno. A lot of the schemes strike me as if not scams, then rather ineffective - but many help a lot of people, although I'm not keen on some of the (admittedly more effective in terms of basic education in many instances) theist groups. As romafan says, I'd do as much research as I can before committing.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
We sponsored a kid for several years. Letters (and pix) - no problem. By coincidence, a trip to the child's country presented the opportunity for a face-to-face meeting. Plenty of advance notice and we were told that it would not be a problem, what a great idea, etc.

I don't have to tell you how the story ends
frown.gif

This was w/ a reputable(?) organization (Save the Children?), so I'd do some diligence....

Sorry Romafan, do you mind elaborating on what happened?

K

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The meet-up never happened. Supposedly everything was all set. We had to detour a bit to arrange the meting, so it was more than a 'hey, we're in the neighborhood, thought we'd drop by' type of thing. Granted, we were in the mountains of Colombia, but language was not an issue. I was a lot younger and haven't thought of the incident for 30 years. I'll see if I can get the official story.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads