1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Spoils of Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I think they're both ugly [​IMG]

2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I think they're both ugly [​IMG]

Jerk! [​IMG]

3. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

To F Corbera, FvdC did not say he disliked Will's SG voile, just that it was expensive for what it was.

This is what I meant and hoped to imply when I commented on what Freddy said to me as well. In any event, I ordered different stuff from Freddy, if anybody wants to buy my length of SG voile from Will.

4. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Nice.

5. dunga

dunga Senior member

You guys r on drugs.

6. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

I like them both. Thanks very much for the pictures. Now I want them, but it doesn't make sense for me to order them from Will. I'll see if one of my (three) shirtmakers can get hold of it.

So it's Simonnot Godard chambray/voile. Any ideas as to the cloth numbers or some more specific identifiers? How do they wear in summer? Sorry to be such a pain.

7. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

"A" is awesome. Warm but not too much. Also, very elegant casual. I totally pegged it as something Rubinacci would adore. "B" is more plebeian. It is summer weight but nothing like linen or linen-cotton.

8. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Can I just say, the "old" SG "chambray" AKA "voile", looks exactly like everyone else's chambray, perhaps a little rougher, and this is not a question of vocabulary, what the Spanish refer to as chambray is precisely the same for example.

The voile is actually the current run of what I think of as friends and family cloth (they don't claim to be shirting makers and don't make too much of the stuff). It is definitely closer to a mid-weight than a true summer cloth but it is lighter than the chambray.

They discontinued the chambray, which was the former friends and family cloth, because they thought it not as nice (no accounting for anyone's taste).

I still have 18 meters of the light blue chambray left from the three pieces I had them weave, if anyone cares.

9. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

I like them both. Thanks very much for the pictures. Now I want them, but it doesn't make sense for me to order them from Will. I'll see if one of my (three) shirtmakers can get hold of it.

So it's Simonnot Godard chambray/voile. Any ideas as to the cloth numbers or some more specific identifiers? How do they wear in summer? Sorry to be such a pain.

bonfanti will be coming out with some chambrays in solids and vintage coloured bengal stripe in the new year
    ask your shirtmaker to get samples

10. banis

banis Senior member

bonfanti will be coming out with some chambrays in solids and vintage coloured bengal stripe in the new year
    ask your shirtmaker to get samples

He does not reply to e-mails. I tried contacting him several times in the past, but without any success.
    Is there any other way how to contact him?
    Bonfanti is not presented in Russia at all. The only way to get his cloth is to order directly.

11. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

^
    did you use his hotmail account? giancarlobonfantiAThotmail.com?

another reason he may not be replying is that awhile back he sent out
    HUEG amounts of samples to some people
    at a large expense
    but never got any orders.

12. banis

banis Senior member

Yes, the one you stated.
    I found it on the LL in his topic.
    Will try to make another attempt.
    That's what I received back when trying to send him messages:

13. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

^
    that is odd
    i've never gotten that message

14. banis

banis Senior member

I have just received reply from him after sending a message once again.
    Thanks!

15. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

This was an excellent write up Manton, and I used it as a guide during my recent, but brief, trip to Naples. Here are some of my comments for addition details.
    Talarico the umbrella maker has two locations, both inside courtyards off Via Toledo. One location sells rather cheap umbrellas. The other has the "good stuff." Not in the market because I love my Smith (which they may well have made anyway).
    I went to the one in Vico due porte a Toledo, an alley off via Toledo. The one piece stick umbrellas were generally around 150-180 euros and several different woods to choose from. Their mechanism looks similar to Smith's so they may very well make for Smith's. However, the samples I saw looked much more rustic in nature and not as finely finished as typical British umbrellas. There was another store in a courtyard off via Toledo which didn't seem to sell one piece stick umbrellas.
    There is a cloth shop in Filangieri called Argento. 100% English goods, stacks of it. They had my now-sold out Scabal Shetland gun club, two lengths. Act fast. Gun clubs were popular there, and seemed popular in the city, BTW.
    I think this place is actually called Argenio. It seems they also have a website and it seems they sell accessories as well as cloth. http://www.salvatoreargenio.com/Home-eng.html There was a similar store across the street called Magnefique. http://www.magnifiquenapoli.com/eng/ [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

at a trattoria
    in the spanish quarter
    starting with a 10 dish
    antipasti

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Hungry work, menswear.

18. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

The food looks so good, what was for main.

19. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Looks delicious, but makes me dizzy....

20. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

which one
    was
    the liver?