Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Spoils of Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Nov 15, 2010.

1. S. Able

S. Able Senior member

Manton, did you visit any tailors other than Mina's crew and Solito? I love your DB from the later.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I plan to go into all the shopping in a future post.

3. RSS

RSS Senior member

The inside pocket where I keep my wallet has a button. I had it fastened most of the time, which would have made it even harder.
    Some years back I was on public transportation in Naples ... and felt someone fondling (or so I thought) my ass. It was a very old woman. I moved away. Perhaps because of my vanity ... it never occurred to me she was looking for my wallet ... which, in any event, I keep in my breast pocket.

A few minutes later a friend of mine shouted, "Someone took my wallet." I knew just who to look for. She was covered in layers of fabric ... and had several shopping bags. I cornered her while my friend got the police. She had it.

4. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Did Mina and Dino take you to the same pizza spot as Medtech?

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I plan to go into all the shopping in a future post.
    You really don't put out on the first date, do you?

6. Manton

Did Mina and Dino take you to the same pizza spot as Medtech?

I didn't eat out with them but we did go to two caffes and went shopping.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great details, thanks for the posts and thread.

8. Manton

One or two more random observations.

Apparently, the city used to be overrun by food carts, people selling cheap food on the streets. Sort of like Manhattan today. These are gone. At least I didn't see any. However in Spaccanapoli and the Spanish Quarter there were lots of "restaurants" that were bascially just counters open onto the street. No seating inside (or anywhere). You walk up and order and give your name. Then you stand around and wait for them to shout for you. Some of these places were mobbed--literally a hundred people waiting. Two of the most famous pizzerias are on Via Tribunale and both were totally overwhelmed with people eating on the street (which is about 2" wide). Again, no tourists.

There is a booming business of relgious iconography. Whole streets in Spaccanapoli were nothing but stall after stall selling this stuff. The amount of Christmas decorations for sale was also staggering. As were the number of people shopping. Some of the streets were packed wall to wall with people and moved at a glacial pace. In old Naples they still like it the God.

At the party at the Admiral's villa, he introduced all the Navy people who helped out. There were two cooks. Now, the Navy is known for having the best food in the military. This may sound like "best dressed person in WYWN". Certainly there is an element of that. But they really do make an effort. As an aside, I will note that I have eaten on ships many times, and the WH Mess is run by the Navy. Not bad. My great uncle ran the Navy kitchens and Pearl in WW2 and provisioned ships coming in and out. He gained enough of a reputation to start restaurant in Honolulu after the war which became very successful. He later opened branches in San Francisco and Seattle. Seattle is still open and owned by the family. Anyway, it turned out one of the cooks was from my home town and the other, the Navy had put through the CIA (the cooking school, not the spy agency). The kid from my town was getting out of the Navy next year and using the education money to go to the CIA campus in Napa Valley. I spent most of the party talking to them about California and food.

9. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

At the party at the Admiral's villa, he introduced all the Navy people who helped out. There were two cooks. Now, the Navy is known for having the best food in the military. This may sound like "best dressed person in WYWN". Certainly there is an element of that. But they really do make an effort. As an aside, I will note that I have eaten on ships many times, and the WH Mess is run by the Navy. Not bad. My great uncle ran the Navy kitchens and Pearl in WW2 and provisioned ships coming in and out. He gained enough of a reputation to start restaurant in Honolulu after the war which became very successful. He later opened branches in San Francisco and Seattle. Seattle is still open and owned by the family. Anyway, it turned out one of the cooks was from my home town and the other, the Navy had put through the CIA (the cooking school, not the spy agency). The kid from my town was getting out of the Navy next year and using the education money to go to the CIA campus in Napa Valley. I spent most of the party talking to them about California and food.

My buddies from the Naval Academy also insist this is true.

Any chance that a Navy cook you met was a Chief Petty Officer and former Navy SEAL with extensive special-weapons and counter-terrorism training, who was relegated to his current posting for striking his superior officer? Just wondering...

10. GusW

Any chance that a Navy cook you met was a Chief Petty Officer and former Navy SEAL with extensive special-weapons and counter-terrorism training, who was relegated to his current posting for striking his superior officer? Just wondering...
    [​IMG]

11. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

^ I care more about what was in the cake.

12. greger

greger Senior member

Some of the streets were packed wall to wall with people and moved at a glacial pace.

You must have been on a fast plane back to land in the right time zone. Glacial Pace + right time would mean your plane needed to be faster than light.

It is nice seeing people try out different tailors.

13. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

I like the suit and ties very much. The suit is Neapolitan, but not in a tacky way.

In my opinion someone as tall as Manton can afford a somewhat lower gorge, which would make the front of the coat more harmonious and proportioned. But I guess that's a stylistic preference.

P.S. I like the shoulders on the Solito better than those on the NSM. But the NSM suit strikes me as more understated (in a good way) overall -- that may just due to the SB vs DB effect though.

14. GusW

^ I care more about what was in the cake.

That was certainly my favorite part of the movie [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

It's the future now. Let's have at it, Mantoni.