Spoils of Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Did you see Ocean's 11?

I did but I don't remember a pickpocketing.

It seems to me that if it were done it would have to be by bumping into me or something. You are not going to get your hand into my coat without me noticing at all.

2. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

Steady – that almost sounds like a challenge!

3. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

It seems to me that if it were done it would have to be by bumping into me or something. You are not going to get your hand into my coat without me noticing at all.

Pretty much. Matt Damon pickpockets a businessman's breast pocket wallet by bumping into him on the bus.

Don't think it would be that hard to bump into you on a crowded narrow street......though they might need a ladder to get to your breast pocket.

4. banis

banis Senior member

Damn. Seems impossible to me. In any event, it didn't happen.

He was pretty much sure that this could have happened with anyone but him. His words were pretty much the same as yours that there is no chance he would not have noticed someone's hand or fingers in his pocket...
    From that time he carries cash in one front pocket and cards in another while travelling to such places as Spain and Italy. It was a good lesson for everyone of us for the future.

5. Manton

I am sorry but the opening of my jacket is like a foot below my eyes. Maybe someday I will have occasion to rue this confidence but it seems impossible to me for someone to reach their hand into the inside of my coat, grab my wallet and remove it, all without me seeing any of it.

6. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

Be wary of The Damon, that's all we'll say.

7. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I am sorry but the opening of my jacket is like a foot below my eyes. Maybe someday I will have occasion to rue this confidence but it seems impossible to me for someone to reach their hand into the inside of my coat, grab my wallet and remove it, all without me seeing any of it.

they could do it in a "bump" situation, I know it sounds impossible, but a good pickpocket could do it and you would be none the wiser. Hopefully you will never find out. In Spain, my mother in law had her purse opened from the bottom with a knife, contents emptied and she did not know anything until it was too late. She was in a line at a store and had other bags in hand and you just get distracted, you wouldn't think so, but I can assure you it can happen to you.

8. Manton

they could do it in a "bump" situation, I know it sounds impossible, but a good pickpocket could do it and you would be none the wiser. Hopefully you will never find out. In Spain, my mother in law had her purse opened from the bottom with a knife, contents emptied and she did not know anything until it was too late. She was in a line at a store and had other bags in hand and you just get distracted, you wouldn't think so, but I can assure you it can happen to you.

I am not disputing the bump. What I am saying is that there has to be some sort of contact.

Had I been bumped my first thought would have been "beware theft!" because of the reputation of the city. But I was not bumped.

No bump, no pick.

9. edmorel

I am not disputing the bump. What I am saying is that there has to be some sort of contact.

Had I been bumped my first thought would have been "beware theft!" because of the reputation of the city. But I was not bumped.

No bump, no pick.

yeah, it's just that the contact could come in ways that you are not expecting or in ways that distract you enough from not feeling your wallet leaving your coat. Keep in mind that pick pocketing is his job. He will follow you around all day and wait for that right situation/moment where a trip/spilled drink/casual conversation etc etc gives them that split second chance. they are looking and waiting for the right moment to steal from you, you are not protecting against theft every single minute that you are walking around. Anyway, it's a moot conversation at this point.

10. Manton

The inside pocket where I keep my wallet has a button. I had it fastened most of the time, which would have made it even harder.

11. George

George Senior member

The inside pocket where I keep my wallet has a button. I had it fastened most of the time, which would have made it even harder.
    You better make sure you don't run into this chap..
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

12. wiimii

wiimii Well-Known Member

13. Manton

Luigi strongly wanted to do the tan tropical half-lined. I originally asked for a full lining but he talked me into half.

The two frescos and the linen will be partially lined.

Mina's coat--despite being a 15 ounce worsted--is also unlined. Didn't ask for that, she just did it.

14. edmorel

Mina's coat--despite being a 15 ounce worsted--is also unlined. Didn't ask for that, she just did it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. wiimii

wiimii Well-Known Member