• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Splurged on first suit - RL Black Label

sunman42000

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I had posted a week or so back about wanting to purchase my first 'real' suit. With the RL sale going on (30% off + 15% kicker), I bought a black label suit. Shipped to my door for $950.

It will need very little tailoring as it fits reallly well off the rack. However, I am wondering. Is Black label something I can wear for several years? It's not too fashion forward is it?

I'm just wondering if I should go for the Brooks Fitzgerald instead. What do you think?

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also purchased one during the same sale. For me, it fits me almost perfectly off the rack.

As for the longevity of it, I don't think it's as fashion forward as people here make it out to be. The lapels are somewhat skinnier than the norm, but not to the extent that folks here post about it. Secondly, the somewhat more padded shoulder of the BL is an aesthetic that simply isn't popular on this board since folks prefer a more natural shoulder. Other than that, I think the suit is perfect for years.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like BB's Fitzgerald more than RLBL suits. Though my reason is mainly because I'm really a 39L and RL doesn't make 39Ls, I also prefer the styling of the Fitzgerald. I'm not a big fan of the RLBL's padding in the shoulders and the lapels are a bit too narrow. Oddly enough, the single vent doesn't seem to bother me much on the Fitzgerald and the 39L fits me nearly perfectly.

It's up to the fit, more than anything. Pick which one fits you better. The styling of RLBL won't be around forever, but it's not that fashion forward; that is, unless you got this one which is already outdated. On the other hand, I just realized that this is your first suit. I would opt for the Fitzgerald then. Heck, it's cheaper and it'll work in almost any situation. RLBL can have a tendency to look slightly audacious.

sunman42000

Reaction score
^ I thought most guys on this forum liked Black Label better than BB

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunman42000

BL is kind of polarizing in these parts. Love it or hate it kind of thing...

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunman42000

Most people on this forum are constructionists, and RLBL is technically better made than BB Fitz. The former is fully canvassed and the latter half-canvassed, for instance. RL also uses better fabrics.

Of course, personal preference and taste is everything. And if RLBL is too fashion forward or trendy for some folks, then they should buy BB instead. I'll be the first to admit that current-gen RLBL is starting to scare me off in terms of its trendiness. It's always been a fashion forward brand in the RL pantheon, but I am starting to question the wisdom of buying suits these days that will clearly be out of date in a year's time.

Scoundrel

Reaction score
Black Label is not a real suit.
lol8[1].gif
Your intuition serves you correct that a BB would be a better investment. Hate bursting your bubble like this.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scoundrel
Black Label is not a real suit.
lol8[1].gif
Your intuition serves you correct that a BB would be a better investment. Hate bursting your bubble like this.

Yes, RLBL is a figment of your imagination. It does not exist.

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I'll be the first to admit that current-gen RLBL is starting to scare me off in terms of its trendiness. It's always been a fashion forward brand in the RL pantheon, but I am starting to question the wisdom of buying suits these days that will clearly be out of date in a year's time.

You mean in it's lengthy, four year existence?
eh.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clotheshorse69
You mean in it's lengthy, four year existence?
eh.gif

Multiply each of those years by seasons, and consider that the style changes slightly per season, and yes, you'll see that there's merit to making a quasi-longitudinal argument about the changing face of RLBL.

vida

Reaction score
Black Label is a great choice! I have tried both the RLBL and Fitzgerald and think that the BL is far more elegant. If you like the shoulder and narrow trousers and it FITS, then it should be your first choice.
You can't go wrong with either.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Well, I guess that settles that.

Off you go then.

vincerich

Reaction score
What color suit did you buy? THAT is the question.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads