• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Splitting finasterid pills

millionaire75

Reaction score
So I recently switched to generic finasteride as paying 80 bucks a month for propeica was insane. I went through the process of splitting the pills but it seemed to make a mess. Also, concerned with the particles getting around my wife (in case we decide to have kids in a couple years). Is there any side effect of taking too much finasteride? What if I just took the 5 mg a day (as opposed to the 1mg in propecia)? What would happen?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
So I recently switched to generic finasteride as paying 80 bucks a month for propeica was insane. I went through the process of splitting the pills but it seemed to make a mess. Also, concerned with the particles getting around my wife (in case we decide to have kids in a couple years). Is there any side effect of taking too much finasteride? What if I just took the 5 mg a day (as opposed to the 1mg in propecia)? What would happen?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh if you start taking a whole 5 mg a day isn't it going to cost nearly the same as Propecia? You're effectively quadrupling the cost because you don't want to spend four seconds a day cutting a pill. If you're worried about particles just take them at work or something.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Uh if you start taking a whole 5 mg a day isn't it going to cost nearly the same as Propecia? You're effectively quadrupling the cost because you don't want to spend four seconds a day cutting a pill. If you're worried about particles just take them at work or something.

Did u read any of my post? It's not the time issue, it's the particles. In any case, my original question was of any negative side effects of taking too much finasteride. By the way, a month supply of finasteride is 10 bucks versus 80 for propecia. Does that equate to costing the same as propecia to you???????????

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How can we be sure your last sentence was a question?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just snort the remaining powder.

Kris

Reaction score
Buy a pill cutter at the drugstore. Less than 10 bucks.

I don't know jack **** about finasterid, but I would think a doctor or pharmacist would be a better source of advice on dosage than this lot.

Personally, I think you should just go ahead and take the whole pill. You will be fine.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris
Personally, I think you should just go ahead and take the whole pill. You will be fine.
DO NOT DO THIS I'm serious -- excess DHT blockers will cause the resulting excess testosterone to be metabolized into estrogens. ***** ****

office drone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
DO NOT DO THIS

I'm serious -- excess DHT blockers will cause the resulting excess testosterone to be metabolized into estrogens. ***** ****

LOL....I'm happy you've explained your first post on this thread.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really, don't quintuple dosages of anything. That's patently obvious.

bobdobalina

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
How can we be sure your last sentence was a question?

I Loled. I never Lol. Now I have to explain to my wife why I loled.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did u read any of my post? It's not the time issue, it's the particles. In any case, my original question was of any negative side effects of taking too much finasteride. By the way, a month supply of finasteride is 10 bucks versus 80 for propecia. Does that equate to costing the same as propecia to you???????????
Yeah I read your whole post, especially the part where you say
... make a mess. Also, concerned with the particles getting around my wife
implying that the mess is your primary concern and the wife thing is secondary. And I was assuming you were not getting your insurance to pay for finasteride, in which case a month supply costs about the same as Propecia. What provider do you have where you can charge finasteride for hair loss to them and it's not considered fraud?

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Yeah I read your whole post, especially the part where you say

implying that the mess is your primary concern and the wife thing is secondary. And I was assuming you were not getting your insurance to pay for finasteride, in which case a month supply costs about the same as Propecia. What provider do you have where you can charge finasteride for hair loss to them and it's not considered fraud?

Seriously? Correcting my grammar? Wow. And don't worry about my insurance, dude. Why actually answered my question.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been away from SF for about a month. It is threads like this that bring me back.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously? Correcting my grammar? Wow.
I don't think that word means what you think it does

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads