Split-toed shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

I was wondering if split-toed shoes are traditionally more suited to suits, or can they be pulled off with wool dress slacks and a nice shirt for a casual elegant look? I love the look of them but would like to get an idea of how they are normally used.  I don't need dress shoes for a suit, I have tons of them, what  I want is a good pair of black cas. elegant shoes, but don't want to drop $300 and then find they don't work the way I want them to. In particular, these are the shoes I am looking at: Split toes Actually, that link doesn't work right, the one's I'm looking at are called the Bradley, although those Stockbridge shoes featured in the photo might work well too.

2. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

You can certainly wear either shoe with typical business casual attire. The Stockbridge, with its rubber sole, is slightly less formal than the leather-soled Bradley, but they look almost identical. I think spit-toes are a good choice for stradling the suit/slacks line.

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

The French call the style "Chasse" (Hunt); which gives a clue that they were at on time sport or utility shoes. But that doesn't apply anymore, today they are a casual/dress shoe; far dressier than a boat shoe or a loafer, but not quite right for a really formal business suit.

4. Stu

Stu Senior member

Thanks guys. Sounds like they'll work for what I want them for.