• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Shoe - Norwegian vs. Algonquin

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One is made by Alden, and one by Peal & Co. They are likely made on different lasts, meaning they will fit differently. I like the Peal & Co. over the Alden. Much sleeker.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know they are different companies. Just wondering if there was something that made an "angonquin" split toe an "algonquin" instead of a "Norwegian" - aside from what company makes the shoe. Doesn't the "Norwegian" refer to the way the welt is constructed, like a Goodyear welt?

vncrz

Reaction score
Only tangentially related, but what is this type of toe/tip called without the seam at the tip? I'm talking about a loafer type toe on a blucher, like the C&J Onslow:
onslow_med.jpg
I'm guessing just plain "Norwegian" without "split toe"? After all that's what Weejuns refer to

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vncrz
Only tangentially related, but what is this type of toe/tip called without the seam at the tip? I'm talking about a loafer type toe on a blucher, like the C&J Onslow:

onslow_med.jpg

I'm guessing just plain "Norwegian" without "split toe"? After all that's what Weejuns refer to

The Onslow is Goodyear welted, so isn't considered a Norwegian-type shoe, if I'm not mistaken.

DorianGrey

Reaction score
I always thought they were the same - one name originating from the US and one from Europe.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DorianGrey
I always thought they were the same - one name originating from the US and one from Europe.

Actually it's a bit more complicated. The difference in terms dates from the first
encounters between the Vikings under Erik the Red and the Native Americans
(Skrealings) about a thousand years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skræling

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the ones without the split toes are called "apron front" but I could be wrong.

Edify Inc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I believe the ones without the split toes are called "apron front" but I could be wrong.

I do believe you are right.

Apron front is a type of upper construction, as is the split toe.

Norwegian, Goodyear, Blake, etc, are types of welt and/or outsole constructions.

I may be wrong, please correct if I am.

Edify Inc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DorianGrey

If I am not mistaken, they are two different techniques.

The Goodyear welt involves the upper being lasted under the feather (or the edge of the insole), before being stitched through to the welt.

The Norwegian welt is lasted out at the feather, and actually rests between the welt and the outsole. On this kind of construction you can usually see 2 rows of stitching instead of 1 on the GYW.

DannyD78

Reaction score
Here is the real answer. An Algonquin is a flat split toe. A Norwegian has a raised split toe. It’s that simple. And both are always a Blucher.Never an Oxford. Or at least they are supposed to be. Some brands are creating Oxford split toes breaking all the rules.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads