• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

WilYa

Reaction score
These are an amazing style. Heck any of these leather choices would be fantastic. If your purpose for these boots is to wear them during normal, rain, sleet, or snow times.. Out of these options you presented here I believe I would go with a different grain.

For boots, I would prefer a grain, but the Russian Calf from Horween lightens up in flex areas and requires upkeep to retain its beauty. Not that I consider that a negative but more upkeep nonetheless. It does acquire a beautiful patina in those lightened areas though.

The Janus calf (suede) is a nice boot option. Snow tends to really kill it though, and heavy rain as well. Again, the upkeep factor is present. I'd argue that inclement weather would help it develop character, but you are doing some serious brushing on those bad boys.

It leaves the museum calf. If memory serves, when I was using it on a consistent basis, the water was not its best friend.

I have boots in a smaller grain and have been very lucky with it. Both in an Inca and Utah grain. I would suggest Alpine grain, but I have not seen it sold for a while. Any of those three grain leathers require next to no special care, and take a nice beating while retaining a distinctive appearance.

Basically something along these lines...obviously it is a different style just wanted you to see the grain on a boot. View attachment 1260669
much appreciated your insightful thoughts!
I actually want to have a dressier (but not formal) boots for the sunny or less-rainy days in London, most of my other boots are rubber-soled so I want to use a thick JR sole on this pair.
I am also a huge fan of smaller grains, Utah, Inca, Alpine or Pin-grain (Fandango) will all be ideal but unfortunately the maker stock none of them.
If you leave out water-resistance, how would you compare Janus and museum calf style-wise?

would go for a cooler tone of janus or russian calf. warm looking shoes can be hard to wear in outfits. similarly, i find, museum calf looks better on screen than in actual outfits.
I leaned towards a very dark brown museum calf before your comment but now I am thinking a grey Janus could also work.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I leaned towards a very dark brown museum calf before your comment but now I am thinking a grey Janus could also work.

I have a pair of grey boots I sometimes wear with blue jeans and a midnight blue leather jacket. But the problem with unusual shoes, whether by design or color or material, is that they draw the eye downwards. That can be less of an issue with very causal outfits, such as what people talk about at SWD. But with more traditional outfits, such as CM, the focus is more often centered at the top -- on the shirt, tie, and jacket combo, or with a sweater and coat. When you have strange shoes, they draw the eye downward.

IMO, this is why walnut colored shoes are more often than not worn poorly rather than worn well. They can be worn well, but guys gravitate towards them because they're bright and shiny, without realizing they don't have the necessary wardrobe to support such a shoe color.

Anyway, something to think about if you're going to go for warm tones, grey leathers, or unusual materials (if you haven't already thought about this).

WilYa

Reaction score
I have a pair of grey boots I sometimes wear with blue jeans and a midnight blue leather jacket. But the problem with unusual shoes, whether by design or color or material, is that they draw the eye downwards. That can be less of an issue with very causal outfits, such as what people talk about at SWD. But with more traditional outfits, such as CM, the focus is more often centered at the top -- on the shirt, tie, and jacket combo, or with a sweater and coat. When you have strange shoes, they draw the eye downward.

IMO, this is why walnut colored shoes are more often than not worn poorly rather than worn well. They can be worn well, but guys gravitate towards them because they're bright and shiny, without realizing they don't have the necessary wardrobe to support such a shoe color.

Anyway, something to think about if you're going to go for warm tones, grey leathers, or unusual materials (if you haven't already thought about this).
You are quite right! Just reminded me that I have a Lavagna grey EG nevis sitting in storage. Do you think a greyish brown like below will work?
IMG_20191016_204543.jpg
Problem is I already have too many snuff/dark brown suedes, what else cooler colortones will you suggest?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You are quite right! Just reminded me that I have a Lavagna grey EG nevis sitting in storage. Do you think a greyish brown like below will work?
View attachment 1260742
Problem is I already have too many snuff/dark brown suedes, what else cooler colortones will you suggest?

Hard to say without seeing them in an outfit.

TBH, I only really wear dark brown and black shoes. I have a couple of pairs of tan, but they don't really get that much wear. It just takes a bit too much coordination.

It's not a very StyleForum answer, but I think at some point, a person has enough shoes and their money could be better spent on other things.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you leave out water-resistance, how would you compare Janus and museum calf style-wise?

I would say all things being equal, the Janus leather. It is much more versatile. It can be dressed up or down. You can easily get three seasons from it, so long as you keep it dark. So, obviously I am agreeing with your comment concerning a dark brown color. In this case I would be a dark suede.

@dieworkwear provides great insight pertaining to a lighter color attracting the attention towards your feet. A dark color keeps everything muted, and can pass for something more than a country boot.

I would say though that I always associate Janus leather with a chukka, but it can probably work with a longer boot.

Speaking of a longer boot definitely nothing wrong with smooth leather on 8 or 10 eyelet boot.

Can do both as well, especially when you consider no one will see the top of it. Something along these lines. Dark brown on dark brown. I also love that the hardware is also dark. Keep everything muted.

Screenshot_20191016-212118_Instagram.jpg

And if you kept them on smooth calf.. Which I'd also suggest.. In a slightly darker color.

Screenshot_20191016-214423_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20191016-214438_Instagram.jpg

20191017_020837.jpg

@dieworkwear TBH, I only really wear dark brown and black shoes. I have a couple of pairs of tan, but they don't really get that much wear. It just takes a bit too much coordination]

Certainly agree with that. Dark brown, dark burgundy, and black.. Hard to mess that up.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a good example of the shape that I don't think works for split toes. Too sleek and nearly symmetrical. It looks like an internet browser tab.

Last edited:

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like you guys are low- key hating on my recent suggestions but you guys might have a point ;) still love the sleek split toes!!!! Sorry! A few examples attached !!! One of these days I will actually commit to one and then I can judge from experience until then I am just judging from Instagram.
A split toe on a refined last is the equivalent of putting a tough guy in a tux and taking him to a state dinner.

e

Attachments

• F23CF7E0-9BDB-45F0-B723-4E91AB94112E.png
    F23CF7E0-9BDB-45F0-B723-4E91AB94112E.png
    863.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 443AB793-4C64-4728-84EC-2E3A256440B5.png
    443AB793-4C64-4728-84EC-2E3A256440B5.png
    538.7 KB · Views: 66
  • A82DC1F2-FFAE-497F-BB13-03F7FF89D38F.png
    A82DC1F2-FFAE-497F-BB13-03F7FF89D38F.png
    402.1 KB · Views: 57
  • A65819C8-4A41-4933-A80A-709135EED20B.png
    A65819C8-4A41-4933-A80A-709135EED20B.png
    994.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 7249C674-EBEB-46BA-A794-DC5240A3E486.png
    7249C674-EBEB-46BA-A794-DC5240A3E486.png
    614.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 710F7A65-6AAD-4D39-821E-03818A30122C.png
    710F7A65-6AAD-4D39-821E-03818A30122C.png
    719.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 3C5E9A63-CCDE-4C6C-B70B-511C0D09DE2D.png
    3C5E9A63-CCDE-4C6C-B70B-511C0D09DE2D.png
    624.3 KB · Views: 86

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think a sleek shape can sometimes work, but it depends on the specific last. Some, when combined with a split toe, just looks very internet-y. It's like super sleek work boots

Of the photos you posted, I dig the first. The Hiro is OK too.

Not into the chukka and really not feeling the red shoes

My first pair of shoes from Templeman are sleek-ish (pictured below). My StCs are also sleek ish. But I think there has to be a certain shape to sleek split toes. Otherwise, it looks like a pizza slice.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like you guys are low- key hating on my recent suggestions but you guys might have a point ;) still love the sleek split toes!!!! Sorry! A few examples attached !!! One of these days I will actually commit to one and then I can judge from experience until then I am just judging from Instagram.

Preference rather than hating I would suggest.

To me, it is like a bearded man with one of those huge beer bellies who loves wearing berets with an ascot. I just can not bring myself to wear that. I can't bring myself to wear a rugged split toe with a pointy toe or triangular last.

Plus berets with ascots feels like I should always be uttering
"sacre bleu"

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OrlandoMo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I would say all things being equal, the Janus leather. It is much more versatile. It can be dressed up or down. You can easily get three seasons from it, so long as you keep it dark. So, obviously I am agreeing with your comment concerning a dark brown color. In this case I would be a dark suede.

@dieworkwear provides great insight pertaining to a lighter color attracting the attention towards your feet. A dark color keeps everything muted, and can pass for something more than a country boot.

I would say though that I always associate Janus leather with a chukka, but it can probably work with a longer boot.

Speaking of a longer boot definitely nothing wrong with smooth leather on 8 or 10 eyelet boot.

Can do both as well, especially when you consider no one will see the top of it. Something along these lines. Dark brown on dark brown. I also love that the hardware is also dark. Keep everything muted.

View attachment 1260968

And if you kept them on smooth calf.. Which I'd also suggest.. In a slightly darker color.

View attachment 1260979

View attachment 1260980

View attachment 1261081

@dieworkwear TBH, I only really wear dark brown and black shoes. I have a couple of pairs of tan, but they don't really get that much wear. It just takes a bit too much coordination]

Certainly agree with that. Dark brown, dark burgundy, and black.. Hard to mess that up.
First ones are sick

winghus

Reaction score
I think a sleek shape can sometimes work, but it depends on the specific last. Some, when combined with a split toe, just looks very internet-y. It's like super sleek work boots

Of the photos you posted, I dig the first. The Hiro is OK too.

Not into the chukka and really not feeling the red shoes

My first pair of shoes from Templeman are sleek-ish (pictured below). My StCs are also sleek ish. But I think there has to be a certain shape to sleek split toes. Otherwise, it looks like a pizza slice.

View attachment 1263076
How do you feel about the G&G Thorpe?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads