• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

Mauro Vigani

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some advice from a shoe buyers perspective. After not liking the look of Split Toe shoes, I now think they are the most beautiful of shoes and I'm looking to purchase a pair.

The problem I have is that I am aware that THE split toe derby is the Edward Green Dover, and the price is more than I have ever paid for a pair of shoes.

My question is this. If I were to go for a less expensive version, such as a Carmina, do you think that would fulfil my split toe desires, or would it simply make me want a pair of Dovers even more? If I make the compromise based on price, will it end up costing me more in the long run?

I don't know you personally but if you are like me you want what you want! I don't mind waiting for something I really want. I waited 4years for a watch...
I saw that other members had been given you other alternative thought that maybe you didn't considered. I personally love AM shoes but hey it's your shoes :)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Trickers has done a collaboration with Nicholas Daley in what i can describe as one of the worst split toes around

View attachment 1225277

I realize there are different tastes for different palates, but goodness me. For anything less than $500, I still stand behind purchasing a pair from Sons of Henrey.

Full disclosure..I do not own them just from what I read from other members.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize there are different tastes for different palates, but goodness me. For anything less than $500, I still stand behind purchasing a pair from Sons of Henrey.

Full disclosure..I do not own them just from what I read from other members.

i would also like to add TLBs to the list of best under 500

djdanniedee

Reaction score
From the pictures, it appears to be a faux reverse skin stitch, similar to what Enzo Bonafe has for Skoak. My understanding is it is stitched the same as a reverse skin stitch (like a EG Dover) but the skin is not split, it's one piece of leather at the toe, where as the Dover is 2 pieces of leather stitched together.

Beautiful nevertheless, and it also has a pie-crust apron like the EG dover.

i would also like to add TLBs to the list of best under 500

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Admittedly, I do not know much about the reputation of TLB Mallorca, nor have I made an attempt to inform myself about the company. Therefore, I can not speak about the shoes' comfort, quality, value. In any case as to pertains to aesthetics, these look very well done. The leather exhibits qualities similar to the product put out by Meermin.

I am guessing since AJ mentioned them, they should be solid. For those that own their shoes, how do they compare to other Spanish made shoes (Sons of Henrey, Carmina & Meermin)?

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Admittedly, I do not know much about the reputation of TLB Mallorca, nor have I made an attempt to inform myself about the company. Therefore, I can not speak about the shoes' comfort, quality, value. In any case as to pertains to aesthetics, these look very well done. The leather exhibits qualities similar to the product put out by Meermin.

I am guessing since AJ mentioned them, they should be solid. For those that own their shoes, how do they compare to other Spanish made shoes (Sons of Henrey, Carmina & Meermin)?

Full disclosure, i do not own a pair of TLB shoes as of now. But i have heard good things about them.

I am in the process of buying a shoe from their Artista line (which by many is better than carmina and comparable to C&J hand grade line). Again, since i don't own them, these are not my views, but views of people i have talked to.

Once i get them in hand (hopefully soon). i will let u know. Maybe someone who owns a pair can be helpful here.

I know that @soaped owns one. maybe he can give us some insight.

PS: the split toe derbies are not in the artista line. they r in their mainline shoes. so it won't be a fair comparison even if i make one.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very impressive details on that Artista line, especially when you consider the price range! What really draws my attention are the vegetable tanned leather insoles, closed channel, leather heel stiffeners, a bevelled waist, and close-cut heels. Based on those details alone, it would rival C&J handgrade or Alfred Sargent handgrade (although AS h-grade is MTO). Darn shame they do not offer a sub $700 hand welted option. That would definitely rattle some cages.

As all this pertains to their regular line and for comparison purposes, it would not be a fair comparison. Someone would have to own their split toe along with another split toe within the same or slightly higher/lower pricing structure.

Good information nonetheless!

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Glad to see you highlighting the TLB Mallorca Reverse stitch toe here! We just received stock of it, and actually already gone in some sizes, so the craze from when we did the GMTO of it seem to continue. Here's a couple of pics of it:

Regarding an Artista version, that is not a bad suggestion. We'll definitely look into it and can hopefully bring some news to you later this fall. We've had an overwhelmingly positive response from customers who've bought from our wide range of Artista models, we happily continue to build on that. Thanks for the input and suggestions!

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Glad to see you highlighting the TLB Mallorca Reverse stitch toe here! We just received stock of it, and actually already gone in some sizes, so the craze from when we did the GMTO of it seem to continue. Here's a couple of pics of it:

View attachment 1227407

View attachment 1227408

Regarding an Artista version, that is not a bad suggestion. We'll definitely look into it and can hopefully bring some news to you later this fall. We've had an overwhelmingly positive response from customers who've bought from our wide range of Artista models, we happily continue to build on that. Thanks for the input and suggestions!

Thanks @j ingevaldsson . I look forward to a split toe derby with a hand sown apron in the artista line (if that happens)

I am sure it will be a hit.... Maybe u can do an initial GMTO to test the waters (so to speak) and see the response...

WilYa

Reaction score
What a thread!
I have a recent MTO in the making, olive CFS Kudu suede with grey HCP nubuck alligator vamp. A bit late for summer but equally excited!
Will post pics once received.
Screenshot_2019-08-21-17-05-20-680_com.tencent.mm.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads