• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

Wingtip77

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some advice from a shoe buyers perspective. After not liking the look of Split Toe shoes, I now think they are the most beautiful of shoes and I'm looking to purchase a pair.

The problem I have is that I am aware that THE split toe derby is the Edward Green Dover, and the price is more than I have ever paid for a pair of shoes.

My question is this. If I were to go for a less expensive version, such as a Carmina, do you think that would fulfil my split toe desires, or would it simply make me want a pair of Dovers even more? If I make the compromise based on price, will it end up costing me more in the long run?

colco

Reaction score
How do you expect strangers on the internet to answer that question for you? There are certainly fine options for NST's that don't have a 4 figure price tag. Whether those will be acceptable to you is only a question you can answer.

Wingtip77

Reaction score
How do you expect strangers on the internet to answer that question for you?

I don't want an answer, I just want some opinions based on the experiences of other people. Have you had any experience with the other fine optiond of NST's?

sinfjotli

Reaction score
I have a pair of EG Dovers and a pair of cordovan Carminas (Forest last). The Carminas are some of my favorite shoes - because of how comfortable they are for me and their useful weather range. The EG Dovers are of course beautiful and I love how they can work with anything from a suit to a sweater, but if somehow I could only have one pair I would have picked the Carminas (mostly because of how they fit me).

My advice would be to get the shoes that fit you best and you feel comfortable to afford. If you end up liking split toes and you feel comfortable paying the price for the EG, get those too - they make them in all kinds of leathers and colors and there is no harm having more than one NST in your rotation.

Wingtip77

Reaction score
I have a pair of EG Dovers and a pair of cordovan Carminas (Forest last). The Carminas are some of my favorite shoes - because of how comfortable they are for me and their useful weather range. The EG Dovers are of course beautiful and I love how they can work with anything from a suit to a sweater, but if somehow I could only have one pair I would have picked the Carminas (mostly because of how they fit me).

My advice would be to get the shoes that fit you best and you feel comfortable to afford. If you end up liking split toes and you feel comfortable paying the price for the EG, get those too - they make them in all kinds of leathers and colors and there is no harm having more than one NST in your rotation.

That's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for - thank you.

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
I bought a pair of faux reverse split-toe Enzo Bonafe's in an attempt fulfill my reverse split-toe desires. While I love EB's version and am keeping that pair, I now have two pairs of EG Dover's and counting.

You could start with a similar looking pair like the Carlos Santos version or if you're comfortable with spending just shy of $1k, Ascot shoes have just released their Vass Kaan. That's probably the closest thing to the real deal.

If you really think they are the most beautiful shoe, there's no reason to only own one.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Split toes can vary in aesthetics. Alden NST has a different look than EG, G&G, JLP, etc. try EG and see how they feel. I had Dovers but moved to JLP and G&G just because fit was better.

supern0va

Reaction score
Another option that doesn’t break the bank (so badly) - Antonio Meccariello centurion. I would say they are at a higher level of finishing than Edward Green and Gaziano and Girling.

L-to-R: AM, EG, GG

CEF7579E-59E4-466C-95D8-99D9C2A20DD2.jpeg
DEBAFAF4-D06A-4245-BDA2-2FEAB11CB15A.jpeg

Wingtip77

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice. Ideally I'm looking for a dark brown grain leather varient, and I'm not sure Carmina have them as a stock option at the moment. Really, that leaves Edward Green (unless I go MTO) unless somebody tells me otherwise?

Wingtip77

Reaction score
I've ordered the Vass split toe in Antique Cognac, so hopefully that will scratch the itch...

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much like yourself, I initially hated the Split Toe. Again like you, the Dover really caught my eye. So much so, I ended up purchasing it. Later, I purchased the robust and agressive Alden NST. One became my trouser and chino shoe (Dover), while the other my denim companion. Since that time, I bought a MTM Rozsnyai NST in dark country brown. Needless to say, the Rozsnyai has become my shoe of choice for all occasions, and I rarely use either the Dover or Alden NST.

My advice is to figure out what NST gives you the most bang for your back (in terms of quality, outfit choices, longevity), and purchase it. If you find that the Dover is a large sum, you are actually right. Spending over a thousand on a pair of shoes makes you a fool. Unfortunately this fool giving you advice lives by a creed. A creed expressed by
Martin Grey of Cheaney who said, "When you got over the cost of anything that you purchased, the joy of using it goes on".

Before I forget, you can look at the aforementioned NST's already suggested by Carmina, Meccariello, Vass which can be had for less than the Dover. As well as, not mentioned, the
Paolo Scafora Mergellina,Cheaney Chiswick, J.M. Weston Split toe, and Mario Bemer Derio. All for under $1000. In case you are wondering, my Rozsnyai is even less than the Alden ($520 shipped). I will include some pictures of it as well.

Good luck, and do not fret too much. Any of those shoes makes for a beautiful & versatile NST!

DSC01830.JPG DSC01827.JPG DSC01825.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads